[NEohioPAL] Review of "Margin of Error" at Ensemble Theatre

Bob Abelman via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sat Oct 1 17:42:55 PDT 2016

Timing tames but doesn’t triumph over Ensemble’s ‘Margin of Error’

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News, The News Herald, The Morning Journal

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

Too soon.

Our morale has just been shaken by a disconcerting televised debate between Trump and Clinton.

Our minds are reeling over the onslaught of negative ads, leaked emails of the Democratic National Committee, and this week’s viral release of Trump’s inflammatory rhetoric during a videotaped deposition.

Our souls are restless as different national polls forecast opposing outcomes of the upcoming election.

Just listen to how the studio audiences respond to the partisan puns and whoopee-cushion commentaries on Samantha Bee’s “Full Frontal,” “The Daily Show” with Trevor Noah, and other late-night TV comedy shows.  These days we seem less likely to laugh out loud at the sorry state of political affairs.

So the timing of Eric Coble’s political comedy “Margin of Error,” which is receiving its regional premiere at Ensemble Theatre, couldn’t be worse.  Too soon.  Too close to home.

Still, this one-act play is beautifully constructed and Eric Schmiedl’s direction rides all its comedic rhythms at just the right pace with just the right tone.

For more of this review, go to www.clevelandjewishnews.com/columnists/.