[NEohioPAL] Mamai Theatre Company announces its 2017 summer season will take place in downtown Cleveland at Playhouse Square!

Christine via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Oct 6 06:15:33 PDT 2016

*Mamai Theatre Company announces its 2017 summer season will take place in
downtown Cleveland at Playhouse Square in the Helen Rosenfeld Lewis
Bialosky Lab Theatre.* Mamai Board of Directors President David Schiopota
states, “The steady and unfaltering work of Co-Artistic Directors
Bernadette Clemens and Christine McBurney to fulfill their vision and
follow their artistic passions has enthused Northeast Ohio audiences and
pushed the bounds of classical theatre in Cleveland. I am elated to
announce that Mamai Theatre Company’s next season will be presented at
Playhouse Square.”

*Mamai proudly announces its 2017 Summer Season:*

*THE TESTAMENT OF MARY by Colm Tóibín, with Anne McEvoy*

*Directed by Bernadette Clemens*

July 5 - 23, 2017 Wednesdays-Saturdays at 7:30pm, Sundays at 2:30pm

The Helen Rosenfeld Lewis Bialosky Lab Theatre

*A DOLL’S HOUSE by Henrik Ibsen, adapted by Thornton Wilder*

*Directed by Christine McBurney*

August 9 - 27, 2017 Wednesdays-Saturdays at 7:30pm, Sundays at 2:30pm

The Helen Rosenfeld Lewis Bialosky Lab Theatre

Clemens, who leads the company’s financial and strategic operations, takes
on the role of Executive Artistic Director as of January 1st. She states,
“Strong women led this company through unique, high-paced, sustainable
growth in its early years. We appreciate that Gina Vernaci and Playhouse
Square have acknowledged the work and aspirations of our company by
extending an invitation to present at Playhouse Square. This is not only a
cause for professional celebration, it is a personal honor, and one we feel
deeply.”

McBurney, who will continue as Co-Artistic Director, adds, “We are grateful
and excited for the opportunity to present our next season at Playhouse
Square. The 2017 season program continues the Mamai tradition of plays that
engage audiences with classical material on relevant women’s issues. Our
first production imagines a supremely iconic mother’s famous story through
an unexpected telling from her private perspective, and our second
production imagines new territory for an iconic wife and mother who gains a
new perspective of her own with a door slam that was heard around the
world.”

“Mamai’s work is well-produced and relevant,” said Vernaci, Executive
Producer at Playhouse Square, “and when I noticed they were moving around
frequently, I decided to invite them to Playhouse Square for a series of
discussions about their growth and vision for the future. We determined it
would make great sense for them to rent The Helen for their 2017 summer
season. I hope their audiences will enjoy being part of the greatest
theater scene outside of New York City.”

Mamai's four completed seasons have garnered resounding support from the
community and critical acclaim from the press, filling a particular niche
within the area’s vibrant professional theatre community by producing
intelligent, relevant classical theatre in summer that offers equal
opportunity for women in the professional theatre community. The company
contractually employed 70 women and 17 union actors belonging to Actors'
Equity Association among its greater numbers of theatre artists and
technicians hired since 2013, and engaged more than 2,000 audience members
annually through artistic and educational programming.