[NEohioPAL] Review of "Fun Home" at Playhouse Square

Bob Abelman via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Oct 7 15:08:33 PDT 2016

‘Fun Home’ on tour thrives on its creative contrasts

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News, The News Herald, The Morning Journal

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

“Dad and I both grew up in the same small Pennsylvania town. And he was gay, and I was gay, and he killed himself, and I became a lesbian cartoonist….  Caption – My dad and I were exactly alike.  Caption – My dad and I were nothing alike.”

These lines from the opening scene of “Fun Home,” the 2015 Tony Award-winning musical that is launching its national tour at Playhouse Square, perfectly sums up the play’s remarkably simple story and the astoundingly complex characters who populate it.

It’s this creative juxtaposition of simplicity and complexity, and the heart wrenching and theatrical intriguing moments it produces on stage, that makes this musical such a welcome addition to this season’s lineup of Broadway roadshows.

For more of this review, go to www.clevelandjewishnews.com/columnists/.