[NEohioPAL] Get $20 Tickets for Dobama's AN OCTOROON This Thursday 11/3/16 & Support Heights Community Congress & 10, 000 Villages

JD Tell via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Nov 1 11:35:09 PDT 2016

SPECIAL SPONSORED PERFORMANCEBY HEIGHTS COMMUNITY CONGRESS & TEN THOUSAND VILLAGES
AN OCTOROON by Branden Jacobs-Jenkins
Thursday, November 3
6:30 (dessert reception & discussion), 7:30 pm (performance)FREE glass of wine or beer at intermission
Dobama Theatre, 2340 Lee Rd, Cleveland Heights
     In 1859 Dion Boucicault's play The Octoroon helped spark national debate around the abolition of slavery and the role of political theatre. Using Boucicault’s plot as a template, playwright Branden Jacobs-Jenkins’ An Octoroon deconstructs and critiques its depiction of race and confronts the issues facing modern day America in one of the most exciting and controversial plays of our time.
     Join HCC and Ten Thousand Villages at 6:30 pm for a pre-show discussion and desserts with Lenora Inez Brown, dramaturg for An Octoroon and the author of The Art of Active Dramaturgy: Transforming Critical Thought into Dramatic Action.  RSVP to the pre-show discussion by calling 216.321.6775 or emailing info at heightscongress.org.

Tickets for An Octoroon
•    Discounted tickets ($20, no ticket charge) are available by calling the HCC office (216.321.6775) or emailing info at heightscongress.org
•    Tickets are also available by calling Dobama Theatre's Box Office (216.932.3396) or from the theatre during Box Office hours (Wednesday-Saturday, noon-4pm during production weeks and one hour before every performance). Please use discount code "HCC" to receive a discounted price. Ticket charges apply.
Heights Community Congress (HCC) is a non-profit organization concerned with positively building our community, advocating for social justice issues, and constantly monitoring equality in housing. During 2014, HCC advanced these goals by conducting fair housing audits, presenting diversity programming to stimulate discussion among neighbors, and producing the always popular annual Heights Heritage Home & Garden Tour™.

In 1972, HCC was formed to address housing concerns, some that still exist today.  While certain issues have been tweaked to conform to the present day, our supporters have expressed a desire to have HCC continue in our wide spectrum of community activities:  to encourage balanced and open housing, to stimulate active involvement in community issues of mutual concern, to support a high quality educational system, and to offer programming that responds to the needs of a diverse population.
Ten Thousand Villages is more than a store. It’s a place where you can explore and connect with your global village.From communities throughout the developing world, every inspired design is crafted with love using local materials (usually natural or recycled) and time-honored skills by makers we have known and worked with for years.Every purchase improves the lives of makers by supporting their craft and providing a fair, stable income.We offer a way for you to become part of the story, to shop your values and give gifts with meaning. Because this is bigger than us.