[NEohioPAL] 10 Most Memorable Moments in Cleveland Theater, 2016

Bob Abelman via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Dec 15 05:05:06 PST 2016

10 Most Memorable Moments in Cleveland Theater, 2016 Edition

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News, The News Herald, The Morning Journal

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

When we reflect back on a live theater production, it is usually a specific moment that we recall – an instant when a playwright’s idea, a director’s vision, or an actor’s performance surpasses an audience’s expectations and something special happens.

Such moments seem frozen in time and suspended in space.  It is these isolated, elusive and brilliant moments that keep theatergoers coming back for more and win over the next generation of patrons.

Theatrical missteps and creative miscarriages are similarly memorable and, for the audience if not the performers or production staff, they are just as entertaining.  Awe can be found in work both awesome and awful.

Here are ten of this past year’s most memorable moments – both fantastic and unfortunate – from productions that have graced Cleveland’s Playhouse Square, Off-the-Square theaters, and other area stages.

 For more of this article, go to www.clevelandjewishnews.com/columnists/.