[NEohioPAL] World Premiere of Amy Schwabauer's “This is NOT About My Dead Dog”

Playwrights Local via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Jan 5 19:16:09 PST 2017

PLAYWRIGHTS LOCAL

PRESENTS

A WORLD PREMIERE

“THIS IS NOT ABOUT MY DEAD DOG”

WRITTEN AND PERFORMED BY AMY SCHWABAUER

New one-person show portrays the tragicomic coming of age of the local
playwright/performer. Directed by Dale Heinen, the production runs January
13 through 28 at Creative Space at Waterloo Arts.

Find tickets and other info at: http://playwrightslocal.orgthisisnot/
<http://playwrightslocal.org/thisisnot/>

“This is NOT About My Dead Dog” combines reflections on love, sex, and
alcohol with loud out-loud stories from an awkward girlhood. Tackling
German shepherds, boyfriends, and other attachments, playwright/performer
Amy Schwabauer takes the audience through her journey from lonely child to
young partier to (relatively) well-adjusted adult. This comedic one-woman
show is part pain journal and part offbeat rumination on aquatic life. It
is heartbreaking, but always bracingly honest and funny.

“This is NOT About My Dead Dog” was developed in Playwrights Local’s
inaugural Play Lab new-work incubator in 2016, with initial dramaturgy by
Arwen Mitchell and production dramaturgy by Dale Heinen. “We’re looking to
spotlight new local talent, and Amy Schwabauer fits the bill on multiple
fronts,” says David Todd, Artistic Director of Playwrights Local. “This
play is a brave look at her own life, one that digs deep and challenges Amy
as a writer and performer. In addition to all of her comic charms, Amy has
found another gear for being moving and profound with this show. We’re
happy to produce such an engaging new dramatist.”

Amy Schwabauer’s writing credits include “Fluff Pup” (2015 Cleveland
Playwrights Festival), “The Bird Behind the Curtain” (Cleveland State
University), and “The Accounts of the Warren County Fair as Observed by a
Young Astronaut.” As a performer, she has recently appeared in Positive
Reinforcements (Theater Ninjas), Snake Oil (Ohio City Theatre Project), and
Left in Ink (Cleveland Public Theatre). Director Dale Heinen has been
recognized by the Jeff Awards in Chicago and has received the Arches Award
for Directors in Glasgow. She has directed thirty professional productions
in additional cities such as London and New York, and has developed new
plays at Soho Theatre (London), Silk Road Rising (Chicago), Cleveland
Public Theatre, and Chicago Dramatists.

The stage manager for “This is NOT About My Dead Dog” is Nicola Patton, and
the production manager is Francesca Mamlin. The creative team consists of
lighting designer Stephanie Kahn, set designer Elaine Hullihen, and sound
designer James Kosmatka. The assistant director is Nora DeMilta.

“This is NOT About My Dead Dog” runs January 13 through 28, 2017, with
shows Friday and Saturday at 8:00 p.m. All performances are at the Creative
Space at Waterloo Arts (397 E. 156th Street, Cleveland, OH 44110). Tickets
are $15 for adults, $12 for seniors, and $10 for students. Group packages
are available. For more information, visit the company’s website at
http://playwrightslocal.org/ or call (216) 302-8856.

# # #