[NEohioPAL] NWPL joins over 500 organizations nationwide for The Ghostlight Project

Kyra Kelley via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Jan 17 03:58:47 PST 2017

New World Performance Lab signs on to join THE GHOSTLIGHT PROJECT

At 5:30pm on JANUARY 19, 2017 NWPL will join over 500 theaters, ensembles
and companies, high school and university theater programs will gather
across the country to light a light and make a pledge to stand for and
protect the values of inclusion, participation, and compassion for everyone
- regardless of race, class, religion, country of origin, immigration
status, (dis)ability, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
www.theghostlightproject.com
#GhostlightProject #BeALight #AllAreWelcome

Akron, OH: The Ghostlight Project will bring together over 500
participating organizations in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
>From Broadway to high school auditoriums, members of the theater community
will gather from coast to coast on January 19, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. in each
time zone to light a light and make a pledge. Inspired by the theatrical
tradition of keeping a “ghost light” on in a darkened theater, we create
light for the challenging times ahead.

>From its beginnings, NWPL has set out to create art which honors cultural
diversity. Artists and audience members are welcomed to our space,
regardless, and in celebration of their differences. Our country now faces
a period of uncertainty, during which the values of inclusion will be
challenged. This Thursday, NWPL will renew our commitment to social action.
Our members will publicly pledge to continue working, in our space and
throughout the Akron community, with mindfulness and respect for all
peoples. The Balch Street Theatre will continue to be a place where all are
welcome.

>From Saheem Ali, Director and member of the Ghostlight Project Steering
Committee:
"The act of expressing something out loud has significance. [It]
demonstrates solidarity and a firmness of belief. Our most solemn
ceremonies—weddings, graduations, ordinations—are by design public and
communal because they demand witnesses. By standing outside the privacy
afforded by one’s four walls and declaring something in full voice, one
asks to be held accountable for the stance being taken."

Join us at the Balch Street Theatre, 220 South Balch Street, Akron.
Participants can arrive starting at 5:00 p.m.—the program will begin at
5:30 p.m. Dress warmly. We will be outside for a portion of the event.
Please bring a bright light source, such as a flashlight or your cell
phone. Musical instruments are welcome. For questions or additional
information, visit nwplab.com or find us on Facebook.
<https://www.facebook.com/nwplab>

nwplab at gmail.com
330.867.3299