[NEohioPAL] Workshop Players Seeking Directors For 2017-2018 Season

Workshop Players via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Feb 9 11:55:02 PST 2017

Dear Director,
We, at Workshop Players, are launching into the process of planning for our
71st
season. As the longest running theater-in-the-round in the state of Ohio,
we are pleased to
invite you to apply to direct during the 2018-2019 season.
For several years we put together our season based solely upon submission
by directors
choosing shows that each had a vision to direct. Though I stand by this
process and
philosophy, we deviated last year asking for submissions from the first 5
decades our our
existence. For the 71st we want to amend the process again while still
maintaining director
ownership.
Below is a list of shows with NAME RECOGNITION. Many are taken from
compilations
of “The Best Plays of the Past 100 years”. Many are dramas or musicals.
There are few
comedies from those lists, yet we want to maintain a balance of genres and
styles, so we are
still interested in including comedies. Please note that though we are
presenting a list, we have
not thought through the technical aspects of presenting any of these shows
in our unique space.
That is, as always, the job of the director.
We invite you to peruse the list to see if any of the titles intrigue you
as a director, get a
copy and think through those production elements. We further invite you to
make a combination
of suggestions to us, choosing 1-2 from the list below, plus 1-2
suggestions of your own if you
wish…especially those that fit into the follow categories.
Beyond the list below, we are especially interested in FAMILY FRIENDLY
SHOWS, AND
SHOWS SPECIFICALLY AIMED AT CHILDREN (not necessarily including children in
the cast
—-could be adults performing a show that would bring children into the
theater).
If you have already directed at Workshop Players, you need not submit a
resume or
application, merely your list of play submissions that include and overview
of the play and WHY
and HOW you believe each would fit into our space. If you have not directed
with us, pleas
submit a resume along with your submissions. Send them to
joeandpatprice at centurytel.net.
These submissions are due March 15 (Beware the Ides of March). Directors
will be
interviewed the second week of April by the Board of Trustees when 5
directors will be chosen.
The play reading committee will then read all of the plays submitted and
meet with each director
in August to finalize a balanced, interesting season.
Thank you for your potential interest in working with us.

Please recall that Workshop Players Theater is a volunteer organization and
there is not stipend for directing, just the joy of
making a script come alive in an intimate space.

Sincerely,
Pat Price
Play Reading Committee Chair Send to: Pat Price
joeandpatprice at centurytel.net
(see list of plays below)

Musicals:
Chicago
Godspell
Little Shop of Horrors
Man of La Mancha
Honk! (a musical for children)
Seussical
Pippin
Forever Plaid
Baby
The Last Five Years
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Dramas:
Glass Menagerie
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf?
Streetcar Named Desire
Death of a Salesman
Bus Stop
One Flew Over the Cuckoos’ Nest
Crimes of the Heart
Lion in Winter
August Osage County
Doubt
Night Watch

Comedies
Odd Couple—but change it up to do the female version since we did the male
version recently
Charlotte’s Web —children’s show
Harvey

Additionally, these are plays that the play reading committee liked, but
did not choose in the
past
Hail Mary, by Tom Dudzick, Comedy, 2m 3f Playscripts, Inc.
Life With Father by Lindsay/Crouse, Family comedy, 8m, 8f 5 teens,,
Dramatists
Boeing, Boeing, by Marc Campletti, Comedy, 2m. 4f, Samuel French
Butterflies Are Free, by Leonard Bersne, Comedy, 2m, 2f, Samuel French
First Night, by Jack Neary, Comedy, 1m, 1f ,Samuel French
Philadelphia Story, by Philip Barry, Comedy, 9m, 6f, Samuel French
Sunshine Boys, by Neil Simon, Comedy, 5m, 2f, Samuel French
The Good Doctor, by Neil Simon, Comedy, flexible cast, Samuel French
Leading Ladies, by Ken Ludwig, Comedy, 5m, 3f, Samuel French
Panache, by Don Gordon —Script available from Pat Price upon request

--
Workshop Players
44820 Middle Ridge Road, Amherst, OH 44001
contact at workshopplayers.com
www.workshopplayers.com

"If all the world's a stage, I want better lighting!"