[NEohioPAL] Drs. Oz and Roizen on Meditation

via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Apr 5 10:51:46 PDT 2017

Buddha may have been a vegetarian or, say some disciples, he may have
eaten whatever he was offered, including vegetables, fruit and meats. But his
eating style is not what we mean when we talk about the power of the
"meditation  diet."

A study in the journal Obesity reveals that folks who have higher  levels
of the stress hormone cortisol in their hair (yup, stress even gets in
there!) suffer from chronic stress, have larger waist circumferences (making
their RealAge older), weigh more and have a higher body mass index.

Whether stress comes first followed by weight gain, or extra pounds fuel
your body's stress responses doesn't matter; we bet it's both. In studies at
Dr.  Mike's Cleveland Clinic, taking an online stress-busting course
resulted in a  three-quarter-pound weight loss each week for the eight weeks
participants took  the course.

So, if you're struggling to achieve a healthy weight, it's  time to try the
stress-busting meditation diet. Bonus: You'll also have a  noticeably
sharper memory and a clearer brain.

Set aside times in your  schedule to meditate. Find a quiet environment;
turn off cellphones and  disconnect from the internet. Then ...

1. Sit in a comfortable position  with good posture. Breathe in through
your nose slowly for four seconds and  exhale slowly through an open mouth,
saying, "Om." Repeat. Over time, build up  to an eight-second exhale.

2. Let your mind drift. Recognize thoughts as  they float by; let them
drift away. You'll be dispelling stress and the cortisol  that packs on pounds.