[NEohioPAL] An unsolicited opinion- Jesus Christ Superstar

Melissa Day-Miller via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Mon Apr 10 08:55:52 PDT 2017

We are so lucky to have such a talented community of actors in Northeast Ohio. For years I have written down my response to many area performances only to keep them to myself. However, after spending an entire weekend seeing GREAT theatre, I have decided it's time to share.

I will begin with Jesus Christ Superstar at Weathervane Playhouse.

To be honest, I've felt the last few productions I have seen here were not quite as strong as shows I have seen in the past and I really do not like anything by ALW, but I gave Weathervane another chance and I was so pleased that I did. The stage is filled with powerful voices-leads and ensemble alike. I was reading the playbill prior to curtain and felt a little concerned about the number of the ensemble in the small space but director Melanie Pepe has a strong vision and utilizes the number of performers to fill rather than crowd the stage.

Justin Williams as Jesus has a remarkable voice and is enjoyable to watch on stage.  Patrick Dukeman as Herod is the best I've ever seen him. Standouts to watch in featured roles are Tyler Ferrebee and Josh Larkin. The ensemble is also made up of a large group of talented singers. Unfortunately for me, I felt a large amount of disconnect between the characters. Dawn Sniadak-Yamokoski has the look and the lungs for Mary Magdalene and Adam Vigneault's voice is better with each production, but neither did much for me other than show me that they're the great singers they are. Even the ensemble seemed to be more focused on drawing attention to themselves then telling the story at times.

It must be said that Jasen Smith can do no wrong with costuming. Every production he delivers and even something at big and demanding as Jesus Christ Superstar is no match for him.  The choreography is appropriate and clean and the music sounds wonderful. On an ending note, much praise is deserved by Richard Morris Jr. for creating the appropriate and unique atmosphere with his lighting and technical design.

This show runs through April 23rd. I highly recommend seeing it-especially since I am not even an ALW fan and thought this was great.

Melissa Miller