[NEohioPAL] Artists' Choice Submissions open--submit a script to produce on the Ohio Shakespeare Stage

Tess Burgler via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue May 23 10:36:00 PDT 2017

ARTISTS’ CHOICE SERIES

AT OHIO SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL

The purpose of this series is to allow fellow NE Ohio directors, playwrights, and designers an outlet for creative exploration at Ohio Shakespeare Festival. We encourage theatre artists to submit for consideration a play to produce for a limited run on the Henry C. Bishop Stage.

We specifically seek exciting newer works, perhaps those not typically seen in the Ohio Shakes subscription series. Yet, all submissions must in some way tie into the tradition of classic theatre and/or storytelling, whether in theme, content, design, or interpretation. In short, while this project should be a daring and outside-the-box production for Ohio Shakespeare Festival, it should still fit our mission statement: to put excellent storytelling at the forefront of all we do.

The performances will take place on November 3 and 4, 2017, 8:00pm. Rehearsals can begin no earlier than October 2. You will submit a proposed rehearsal schedule, but be prepared to work around the needs of the MainStage productions.

Submissions are due August 1, 2017.

The qualities of a successful submission include, but are not limited to the following:

A title that can be easily produced in a blackbox style (i.e. without any extraordinary set, technical, or costume requirements).
A production that has no more than 8 actors
A fully realized cast list, and a designated director and stage manager
A clear connection, in whatever creative capacity, to classic theatre/storytelling
No longer than 2 hours, 15 minutes long in run-time
A detailed proposed rehearsal schedule
A title that likely would not be considered for the OSF subscription series.

The theatre will provide:

rights to the production (if applicable)
basic lighting design
basic sound design
one light and/or sound operator
some access to Ohio Shakespeare stock
$500 stipend that must be spent on the production/artists involved

You will provide:

Rehearsal schedules, including a clear and organized tech period
Actors
Stage Manager
Rehearsal and performance reports
Speciality props/costumes

Ohio Shakespeare Festival reserves the right to oversee the artistic product in regards to casting, staging, and design. In manners concerning safety, emotional and physical, Ohio Shakespeare Festival’s guidelines and directives will be held paramount throughout the rehearsal and performance process.

Please click this link for information on how to submit for this project: http://www.ohioshakespearefestival.com/news/artistschoice