[NEohioPAL] CAMEO Medina to present Next to Normal in July

Ryan Routh via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Jun 2 07:55:43 PDT 2017

*CAMEO EMBRACES ‘NEXT TO NORMAL’ AS 2017 SUMMER MUSICAL*

Dad's an architect; Mom rushes to pack lunches and pour cereal; their
daughter and son are bright, wise-cracking teens, appearing to be a typical
American family. And yet their lives are anything but normal because the
mother has been battling manic depression for 16 years.

"We are incredibly excited to bring *Next to Normal* to the Medina
community and the Performing Arts Center stage," says Michael Sferro,
producer for CAMEO and president of the Medina County Arts Foundation.
"We're preparing to explore an emotional powerhouse that addresses grieving
a loss, ethics in modern psychiatry, and suburban life. It is one of the
most powerful pieces of theatre I've ever experienced."

Now in its 14th season, CAMEO, the 'Artist-in-Residence' of the Medina
Performing Arts Center, will take audiences into the minds and hearts of
each character, presenting their family's story with love, sympathy and
heart.

"CAMEO strives to bring relevant, thought-provoking, and entertaining works
to the stage," says Sferro. "Recent productions of Godspell (2016) and West
Side Story (2015) have addressed political divisiveness and racial divides.
Now we're going to tackle the stigmas of mental health."

*Next to Normal*, with book and lyrics by Brian Yorkey and music by Tom
Kitt, explores how one suburban household copes with crisis and mental
illness. Winner of three 2009 Tony Awards, including Best Musical Score and
the 2010 Pulitzer Prize, *Next to Normal* was also chosen as "one of the
year's ten best shows" by critics around the country, including *The Los
Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Rolling Stone* and *The New York Times*.

*Mission: CAMEO provides the greater Medina community with quality and
artistic opportunities. *

* ****** Recommended for Mature Audiences*****

* PERFORMANCE DATES:*
July 14, 15, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 at 8 PM
July 16, 23, & 30 at 4 PM.

*WHERE:*
Medina Performing Arts Center , 851 Weymouth Road, Medina, OH 44256

*TICKETS: *Available Online-Limited Seating
Adult: $20, Student, Senior, Military: $15

*CONTACT:      *

Michael Sferro

Phone:               330.289.6390

Email:                sferrom at medinabees.com