[NEohioPAL] Our Town Auditions

Derwin Loverink via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Jun 16 05:47:40 PDT 2017

*Medina County Show Biz Company Presents:*
*Our Town by Thornton Wilder*
Produced by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc

*Director:* Zen Kotori

*Audition Dates*
July 15th, 12-6pm
July 16th, 2-6pm
July 17th, 8:30-10pm (Call-backs if necessary)

*Place:*
Haddad Theater -Choral Room
144 North Broadway
Medina, OH 44256

*Rehearsal Dates*
July 30th Full Cast Read-Through 7pm in the Choral (Green) Room @ the
Haddad Theater
Aug. 6th, 2015 – Sep. 21st, 2017 Rehearsals are flexible and are generally
held Sunday through Thursday evenings 7-10pm.
Nobody will be required to come every night or stay the entire time until
tech week, starting with our traditional “double-tech” Sunday Dinner on Sep.
17th from 12pm-8pm, Monday18th- through Wednesday 20th 6-10, and a “Glib”
or “line-through” on Thursday the 21st 7pm-finish.
*What to Prepare*
Please prepare a one-minute monologue. We will be taking pictures for
headshots the day of Auditions however, if you would still like to bring in
your headshot you are encouraged to do so. Those who audition will also be
asked to read selections from the play. Please dress for some light
movement exercises in addition to the readings.
*Seeking Individuals for the Following Roles*

   - *Stage Manager* – Male 50's-60's - All knowing narrator of the show,
   able to communicate with both the audience and the characters in the show
   - *Emily Webb* – Female Early 20's - Innocent and intelligent “girl next
   door” who falls in love with George, teenager
   - *George Gibbs* – Male Early 20's - Emily’s neighbor and friend, star
   of the local baseball team, sweet and caring, teenager
   - *Mr. Gibbs* – Male Early 40's - George’s father, the town doctor
   - *Mrs. Gibbs* – Female Late 30's - George’s mother, close friends with
   her neighbor; Mrs. Webb
   - *Mr. Webb* – Male Late 30's - Emily’s father, the editor of the local
   newspaper
   - *Mrs. Webb* – Female Mid-Late 30's - Emily’s mother, close friends
   with her neighbor; Mrs. Gibbs
   - *Rebecca Gibbs* – Female (10-14) - George’s precocious little sister
   - *Wally Webb* – Male (10-14) - Emily’s little brother
   - *Mrs. Soames* – Female 30-40's - A local gossip
   - *Simon Stimson* – Male 30-40's - The church choir director
   - *Joe Crowell* – Male (10-14) - The local paperboy
   - *Si Crowell* – Female (10-14) - Joe Crowell’s younger sibling becomes
   the paper carrier later in the play
   - *Howie Newsome* – Male late 30's - The town milkman
   - *Professor Willard* – Male 50-60's - A professor at the State
   University
   - *Joe Stoddard* – Male 40-50's - The town undertaker
   - *Samantha Craig* – Female Mid-30's - Emily’s cousin

**Plus additional ensemble roles** If you've never been part of a
theatrical experience and would like to audition, background parts will be
available for all ages.

*About the Show*
Thornton Wilder’s *OUR TOWN* embraced the nature of small town living in
America in the early 20th Century. Grover’s Corners is not meant to be a
perfect town -- it faces economic and social issues, and is populated by a
number of less-than-exemplary characters -- but it is meant to be a
microcosm that reveals deeper truths about humanity itself. Using minimal
sets and props, and utilizing the “Stage Manager” as narrator who directly
addresses the audience, Wilder used the inherent artificiality of the
theatrical form to connect the audience more directly with the story.
*Our Town*’s ultimate message -- to do our best to “realize life as [we]
live it”-- was an important one as the world approached the terror of World
War II. Our Town insisted that we focus on life’s little moments --
friendship, family, the blossoming of young love. It was a powerful message
about stability in a world that was tipping wildly. Examining the small,
everyday town of Grover’s Corners, and its quiet, ordinary residents,
Wilder demonstrated a fervent belief in the joy of being alive.