[NEohioPAL] Mamai Releases Statement on The Testament of Mary

Christine via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Jul 7 07:42:37 PDT 2017

"We are proud to bring this sensitive, powerful story of Mary's humanity to
the stage. It is the work of a gifted, imaginative playwright. In response
to the protests related to the assumption that this piece is the text of
the novella, or a staging of the Broadway production, I invite protestors
to stand corrected. This is an original staging conceived by the director.
The playwright's script excludes much of the text from the novella. It is a
reverent, beautiful production. A number of practicing Catholics, including
nuns and theologians, have seen the show and been moved to a standing
ovation. In addition, Catholics number among the production team. The
playbill includes a note on how the director and actress approached Mr.
Toibin 's text to provide this singular, stunning production of The
Testament of Mary. Mamai Theatre Company is thrilled that audiences have
responded so positively to this production."

-- Bernadette Clemens, Executive Artistic Director