[NEohioPAL] Swing dance at the Slovenian Workmen's Home this Saturday, July 29th. $5 for first timers. Jitterbug dance lesson included with price of admission.

Valerie Salstrom via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Jul 28 13:23:08 PDT 2017

Woo Hoo! Attention! Attention! We have a visiting swing dance instructor and DJ in town for the Saturday, July 29th Slovenian Swing Dance! Please come and meet Shelby Johnson from Dallas, Texas. Shelby will be teaching and DJing and dancing, and, it's gonna be a blast!

You may be asking yourself, "Who is Shelby Johnson?" Shelby started swing dancing in 2011 and his adventures in Lindy, Charleston, Blues, and Balboa have taken him all over the United States and Sweden. Shelby was chosen to be a Frankie Manning Lindy Hop Ambassador* at the world famous Herrang Dance Camp** in Herrang, Sweden in 2016. This is an extremely prestigious and honorable position and only given to historically authentic Lindy dancers who have shown a great desire and natural ability to learn, teach, and inspire.

No matter what the swing dance style, Shelby is ignited by the music and loves to create art on the fly with another human being. Shelby works to awaken other dancers' creativity on the social dance floor, as well as expand their minds in the classroom setting.

Please stay tuned for more info on workshops and performances by and with Shelby and other great Cleveland swing dancers.

8pm-9pm We have a beginner-friendly jitterbug lesson with Shelby from Dallas and Get Hep Swing owner Valerie from Cleveland. Be ready for a quick and fun review of the basics and then on to some exciting new moves!

No need to have previous dance experience or bring a partner.
We rotate partners during the lesson however, if you would prefer not to rotate, that is fine too.

Come to dance, to learn, to listen, to socialize! This event is a party with fun music and dancing!

Immediately after the fantastically fun dance lesson, THREE spectacular DJs will play some of your favorite dance tunes from 9pm until midnight. Shelby Johnson will DJ from 9-10, Bryan Hlavacek will DJ from 10-11. Rachel Itsell will DJ from 11-12.

The cost is $12 per person, $10 for students and seniors with a valid ID, & $5 for first timers.

No need to make reservations or buy tickets in advance. We have plenty of room for you. These historic ballrooms are grand in both size and splendor.

We have some of the biggest swing dances in the area with over 150 people attending each month. Attendees have a variety of dance experience (including none) and come from all walks of life and ages. You will not need to bring a dance partner. We rotate partners during the dance lesson. How often do you get to meet 50-100 new people in under an hour? We provide the highest quality swing dance instruction from some of the nicest, most patient people you will ever meet. Our staff includes regional, national and international swing dance competitors (and winners) in multiple swing dance forms.

We welcome anyone to join us who has an interest in dance, music, socializing and fun. We don't care what your physical ability or size is, where you are in life, where you are on the spectrum of sexual or gender orientation, what color or creed, or non-creed, you are. Are you a man who wants to learn how to follow or a woman who wants to learn how to lead? That's cool! This idea is not new to the swing dance scene. We are the easiest club to join. If you have an interest, you are in. :)

We love spreading the gospel of swing dancing and we are excited to share the language and culture of this truly American, urban folk dance form with you. It is important for us to let you know that this dance style started in the African-American ballrooms of Harlem, New York in the late 1920s/early 1930s. This dance has a gritty earthiness that is incredibly empowering and joyful. We can't wait for you to experience this conversation of dance with us.

Attire is anything from casual to dressy. The best shoes to wear are comfortable and will allow you to pivot and turn easily.

The Waterloo Ballroom at the Slovenian Workmen's Home is located in the very artsy and lively Collinwood neighborhood. The address is 15335 Waterloo Rd, Cleveland, Ohio 44110.

The Slovenian not only has a beautiful ballroom; they also have a well stocked bar. They have alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks of all kinds for sale--including a very special Slovenian beer- Lasko!

There are TWO parking lots to the right of the ballroom and there is also some street parking as well. We also have a security guard who keeps an eye on the hall and both parking lots.

Please see www.GetHepSwing.com for the most up to date information on dances, bands playing at the dances, classes, private lessons, school programs, and special topic workshops.

For more info email Valerie at info @ gethepswing.com.

*Learn about the Frankie Manning Foundation and the Frankie Manning Lindy Hop Ambassador program and find out about what you can do to help fund it.
http://www.frankiemanningfoundation.org/

**Herrang Dance Camp is Mecca for Lindy Hoppers.
https://www.herrang.com/general-information