[NEohioPAL] Swingtime big band plays the Lakewood Masonic Temple Swing Dance on Friday, August 11th

Valerie Salstrom via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Aug 8 23:38:44 PDT 2017

The Lakewood Masonic Temple swing dance is the longest running and largest swing dance in the Cleveland area. Amazing live music and DJs have been keeping everyone's toes tapping the second Friday of every month since before 1998.  The Lakewood Masonic Temple is located at 15300 Detroit Avenue in Lakewood.

Over 150 people attending each month and attendees have a variety of dance experience (including none) and come from all walks of life and ages. You will not need to bring a dance partner. We rotate partners during the dance lesson. How often do you get to meet 50-100 new people in under an hour? We provide the highest quality swing dance instruction from some of the nicest, most patient people you will ever meet. Our staff includes regional, national, and international swing dance competitors (and winners) in multiple swing dance forms.

Dances are $12 per person, $10 for students and seniors with a valid ID, $5 for first timers.

From 8-9pm Rachel Itsell and Bryan Hlavacek from Get Hep Swing will lead a beginner-friendly, jitterbug lesson. Remember, you do not need a partner as we rotate partners during this lesson. Also, if you are attending this lesson with a partner and you prefer not to rotate, that is fine too. We are really easy going. Do what makes you happy.

9pm-12am the Swingtime Big Band plays live music. Each month we feature a different band. DJs play a variety of swing dance-able tunes during the band breaks.

The Lakewood Masonic Temple does not have AC but we use mutliple fans to keep the heat and sweat at bay.

We sell cold water and soda for cheap and the money goes to fund our swing dance programing for youth. You are also welcome to bring your own beverages.

We welcome anyone to join us who has an interest in dance, music, socializing and fun. We don't care what your physical ability or size is, where you are in life, where you are on the spectrum of sexual or gender orientation, what color or creed, or non-creed, you are. Are you a man who wants to learn how to follow or a woman who wants to learn how to lead? That's cool! This idea is not new to the swing dance scene. We are the easiest club to join. If you have an interest, you are in. :)

We love spreading the gospel of swing dancing and we are excited to share the language and culture of this truly American, urban folk dance form with you. It is important for us to let you know that this dance style started in the African-American ballrooms of Harlem, New York in the late 1920s/early 1930s. This dance has a gritty earthiness that is incredibly empowering, beautiful, and joyful. We can't wait for you to experience this conversation of dance with us.

Attire is anything from casual to dressy. The best shoes to wear are comfortable and will allow you to pivot and turn easily.

We make learning to partner dance easy and enjoyable. Please join us the second Friday of every month at the Lakewood Masonic Temple and the last Saturday of every month at the Slovenian Workmen's Home.

Please see www.GetHepSwing.com for the most up to date information on dances, bands playing at the dances, classes, private lessons, school programs, performances and special topic workshops.

For more info, please email Valerie Salstrom; the owner of Get Hep Swing, at info at gethepswing.com