[NEohioPAL] Auditions for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at Near West Theatre (For ages 7 & Up)

Kelcie Dugger via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Mon Aug 21 10:05:00 PDT 2017

Near West Theatre announces AUDITIONS for
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Intergenerational Cast (Ages 7 & up)

September 5, 6 & 7, 2017
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
Ages 7-12 from 6:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
Ages 13 & up from 7:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

  Come one of these evenings. Plan to stay for the entire time specified.
See list of roles below!

Beauty and the Beast runs
November 17, 18, 24, 25, 26, 30, December 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9,  & 10, 2017
Rehearsals begin Sunday, September 24, 2017

AUDITION SITE:
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
(1349 West 78th St. Cleveland, OH 44102)

If you are unable to audition on the dates listed above, or you have questions,
call our office at 216-961-9750, Mon.-Fri. 11am-4pm
or EMAIL info at nearwesttheatre.org<mailto:info at nearwesttheatre.org>

ABOUT THE AUDITION:
This is a group audition in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. No experience or preparation required. Dress for movement. Please plan to stay for the entire time specified, and arrive 15 minutes before audition time to register. Anyone arriving after the starting time will not audition that day.

At Near West Theatre we encourage everyone to audition. People of all experience levels, races, ethnicities, neighborhoods, sizes, gender identities and backgrounds are needed. We use theater to build community and relationships. We're a great place to express yourself and make friends.
Come try us! Bring a friend!

ABOUT THE SHOW
Talking candlesticks, an enchanted rose, and dancing tableware?!

It's a race against the clock: the petals of the enchanted rose are falling, and an angry mob is storming the castle door... will the curse be broken before the last petal falls and the Beast and his household are doomed for all eternity? This classic tale of spiritual awakening and personal metamorphosis challenges Belle and the Beast - and all of us - to re-think our definitions of love, beauty and inclusion.
Based on the French fairy tale "La Belle et le Bête" by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve, this classic story has countless adaptations, including two incredible Disney films, featuring music and lyrics by the Tony Award-winning team of Alan Menken, Tim Rice, and the late Howard Ashman.

This is our extravagant holiday show for the entire family's enjoyment!  It runs for four whole weekends and is sure to sell out - get your tickets soon!

Book by Linda Woolverton
Music by Alan Menken
Lyrics by Howard Ashman & Tim Rice

Belle
Belle is kind, gentle, and beautiful-but with an important 21st Century twist. She is a strong, intelligent, spirited and an independent young woman. Belle is the moral conscience of the story, elevated by her thoughts and deeds. The maturity and depth of her character allow her to see the true beauty and spirit within The Beast, and to love him for it.

The Beast
The Beast's tortured soul is evident for all to see. He is paying the ultimate price for a moment of mean-spiritedness, and wishes beyond wishing that he could rectify his mistake. There is anger and menace in The Beast's appearance and behavior, but increasingly we see his soft and endearing side as he interacts with Belle. It becomes clear that he is a loving, feeling, human being trapped within a hideous creature's body.

Gaston
Gaston is the absolute antithesis of The Beast. Although he is physically handsome, he is shallow, completely self-centered, not very bright, and thrives on attention. However, when his ego is bruised he becomes a very dangerous foe for The Beast, Belle and Maurice.

Lefou
Lefou is Gaston's dim-witted, servile sidekick. He goes to extraordinary lengths and suffers repeated humiliation in his efforts to please his master.

Maurice
Despite being a bit scatter-brained, there is no mistaking Maurice's steadfast love for his daughter Belle. Kind, gentle, enthusiastic and inventive, he becomes single-minded and determined when Belle faces danger.

Lumiere
Lumiere is the French butler who was transformed into a Candelabrum. He is light-hearted, suave, romantic, smooth-talking, and charming. He has a romantic involvement with Babette. This character speaks with a French accent.

Cogsworth
Cogsworth is a tightly-wound, enchanted mantle clock and the head of the Beast's household. He is a stuffy English man who loves perfection.

Babette
Babette is a saucy, enchanted feather-duster, and the object of Lumiere's affections.

Mrs. Potts
Mrs. Potts is a warm-hearted, maternal enchanted teapot.

Chip
Chip is an inquisitive little teacup who is the son of Mrs. Potts.

Madame De LaGrande Bouche
Madame is a former opera diva turned enchanted wardrobe.

Three Silly Girls
The silly girls are three pretty young maids who swoon over Gaston.

Ensemble
The Ensemble will play multiple characters, including Townspeople and Enchanted Objects