[NEohioPAL] Review of "Memphis" at Players Guild Theatre

Bob Abelman via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Aug 29 09:43:32 PDT 2017

Players Guild’s ‘Memphis’ is wonderful to look at, a pleasure to listen to

Beth Casteel, Community Theater Critic

Cleveland Jewish News

Set in Memphis during the early 1950s, we meet smooth-talking, white disc jockey Huey Calhoun (Jon Tisevich, who also directs this production), who manages to fall in love with everything he shouldn’t – namely, the revolutionary sound of rock ‘n’ roll and the talented black singer, Felicia Farrell (Joy Ellis).

This rather serious plot during a serious time in our nation’s history is given a thin candy coating thanks to librettist-lyricist Joe DiPietro (“I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change”) and composer David Bryan (co-writer of the “Toxic Avenger” musical with DiPietro), who create solid simulations and celebrations of early rock, church gospel, and R&B.

Based on the actual exploits of disc jockey Dewey Phillips, who helped introduce “race music” to white teens in the South, “Memphis” earned the 2010 Tony, Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards for Best Musical.

This production puts on display an explosive group of singers and dancers in lead, supporting and ensemble roles, who execute Michael Lawrence Akers’ highly stylized period choreography to perfection.  Under Tisevich’s fine direction and with the solid accompaniment of a 9-piece orchestra under Steve Parson’s musical direction, everyone on stage has a moment in the spotlight and holds nothing back.

 For more of this review, which is supported by a Cleveland State University civic engagement grant, go to https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/culture/