[NEohioPAL] An Update from Mamaí to the Community

Christine via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sun Sep 17 04:57:50 PDT 2017

For Immediate Release

Contact: David Schiopota, President

Board of Directors

mamaitheatrecocleveland at gmail.com

An Update from Mamai to the Community

September 2017

Mamai Suspends Operations

Mamai Theatre Company has announced that it is suspending all operations
indefinitely as of December 31, 2017 while it investigates new avenues of
sustainability. The company values the many partners and patrons who have
contributed to Mamai’s success, but the company’s operations have grown
past the capacity of the current staffing model. Board president David
Schiopota notes, “Despite numerous accolades and significant investment
from many within the Cleveland theatre community, Mamai Theatre leadership
has struggled to find an administrative solution that can sustain the
long-term health of the company.  Even with a resoundingly successful debut
at Playhouse Square this year, building an artistic company of this caliber
is an enormous effort.”

Executive Artistic Director Bernadette Clemens acknowledges the impact of
this news on artists and audiences who have witnessed the company’s rapid
growth. Speaking of the company’s accomplishments, Clemens notes: “Each
year, Mamai’s grant funding doubled, tripled or quadrupled in total
dollars. We saw a balanced budget that grew on average over 40% per year.
Our budget in our 5th season was over 400% of our inaugural budget. To me,
that says that the women who co-founded Mamai, the people who led Mamai,
and the community that backed Mamai’s mission, have something to say. it is
something critical, and it was heard. People are still listening.”

Co-Artistic Director Christine McBurney adds, “it has been a dream to fill
a neglected niche by providing intelligent, relevant, classical theatre to
this community and beyond, with plays that we wanted to see in Cleveland,
told by Cleveland artists -- women’s stories from the classical canon,
written by the world’s master playwrights.”

Mamai leadership remains avidly engaged in exploring opportunities to
ensure a legacy for the organization and its mission. Thank you to the
7,000 community members who came to our programming in Mamai’s five-year
history. Thank you to more than 100 artists and technicians who have worked
with Mamai and brought their skill to Northeast Ohio stages in plays
uniquely produced by Mamai. Thank you to partner organizations who
collaborated in Mamai’s success. Thank you to the public and private
granting entities which have supported intelligent, relevant classical
theatre and equal opportunity for women in professional theatre in
Northeast Ohio.

# # #