[NEohioPAL] has now reached 9,000 subscribers

Fred Sternfeld via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sat Sep 16 06:28:53 PDT 2017

*Hello Everybody,*

*Neohiopal <http://www.fredsternfeld.com/neohiopal/> has been in existence
since 1998. When we cut over in 2001 to using the mailman software usage
exploded and has now grown to 9,000 subscribers with thousands more using
the archives
<http://lists.neohiopal.org/pipermail/neohiopal-neohiopal.org/> instead of
subscribing.*

*Many thanks to Noah Budin (associate administrator) and Conrad Yoder
(webmaster) for helping run the list.*

*Neohiopal started almost 20 years ago. Here is the origin story, copied
and paste from the FAQ page
<http://www.fredsternfeld.com/neohiopal-faqs/>...*

In 1998 while directing *Fiddler on the Roof*
<http://fredsternfeldcom.siteprotect.net/fiddlerontheroofjcchalle.htm>at
the JCC Halle Theatre, I compiled e-mail addresses of people who had been
in that production and a few previous ones. That became the nucleus of the
list. I asked that original group to send me addresses of people who would
want to get notice of my upcoming auditions. Then someone at a theatre
heard of my “huge list” of 35 names and asked if I would forward something
for his theatre. I said “Why not?” and the word spread. Through
word-of-mouth other theatres started sending me notices and performing
artists asked to receive the postings. At first I kept all the email
addresses on a Microsoft Word document and manually subscribed and
unsubscribed and sent out the messages through AOL. After three years the
list had grown to about 350 names and my system wasn’t working anymore
because the volume of names was starting to crash my AOL account. In June
of 2001, I cut over to using the “mailman” software, first through
hostway.com, more recently through listserve.com, and currently through Big
Blue Computer Consulting, run by Conrad Yoder. Usage exploded and the
subscriber total is currently over 9,000.

--
Fred Sternfeld
Neohiopal Ltd. Owner and Administrator

fredsternfeld at neohiopal.org