[NEohioPAL] Swing dance at the Slovenian Workmen's Home this Saturday, September 30th

Valerie Salstrom via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Sep 28 02:33:56 PDT 2017

Dance! Listen! Enjoy!

Everyone is welcome to join us to at the Slovenian Swing dance on Saturday, September 30th at the Slovenian Workmen's Home on Waterloo.

The Waterloo Ballroom at the Slovenian Workmen's Home is located in the very artsy and lively Collinwood neighborhood. The address is 15335 Waterloo Rd, Cleveland, Ohio 44110. Two parking lots right next to the hall.

8-9 Jitterbug dance lesson for all levels

9-12 The Dan Zola Orhestra kicks off an awesome night of dance music.

This 19 piece big band is steeped in the tradition of the famous swing and dance bands. Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Les Brown, Harry James, Ellington and Sinatra are just a sampling of the many authentic sounds that are featured by the Dan Zola Orchestra.

Whether it's Swing, Latin, Waltzes or Fox Trots, this band has the arrangements that bring backthe nostalgia of the big band era that has thrilled countless audiences over the past decades.

Our featured vocalist, Dianne Palmer recreates the great vocals of Ella Fitzgerald, Anita O'Day, Helen Ward, Doris Day and a host of others that made romantic ballads, jumpin' swing, and entertaining novelty arrangements come to life with words written by the greatest lyricists of our time.

The cost is $12 per person, $10 for students and seniors with a valid ID, & $5 for first timers. No need to purchase tickets in advance.

No need to bring a dance partner as we rotate partners during the lesson. If you would prefer not to rotate, that is fine too.

We have some of the biggest swing dances in the area with over 150 people attending each month. Attendees have a variety of dance experience (including none) and come from all walks of life and ages. You will not need to bring a dance partner. We rotate partners during the dance lesson. How often do you get to meet 50-100 new people in under an hour? We provide the highest quality swing dance instruction from some of the nicest, most patient people you will ever meet. Our staff includes regional, national and international swing dance competitors (and winners) in multiple swing dance forms.

We welcome anyone to join us who has an interest in dance, music, socializing and fun. We don't care what your physical ability or size is, where you are in life, where you are on the spectrum of sexual or gender orientation, what color or creed, or non-creed, you are. Are you a man who wants to learn how to follow or a woman who wants to learn how to lead? That's cool! This idea is not new to the swing dance scene. We are the easiest club to join. If you have an interest, you are in. :)

We love spreading the gospel of swing dancing and we are excited to share the language and culture of this truly American, urban folk dance form with you. It is important for us to let you know that this dance style started in the African-American ballrooms of Harlem, New York in the late 1920s/early 1930s. This dance has a gritty earthiness that is incredibly empowering and joyful. We can't wait for you to experience this conversation of dance with us.

Attire is anything from casual to dressy. The best shoes to wear are comfortable and will allow you to pivot and turn easily.

The Slovenian not only has a beautiful ballroom; they also have a well stocked bar. They have alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks of all kinds for sale--including a very special Slovenian beer- Lasko!

Please see www.GetHepSwing.com for the most up to date information on dances, bands playing at the dances, classes, private lessons, school programs, and special topic workshops.

For more info email Valerie at info @ gethepswing.com.

We make learning to partner dance easy and enjoyable.