[NEohioPAL] AUDITIONS: Jitney

James Charpie jmcharpie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 19:54:29 PDT 2017

East Cleveland Theater is hosting auditions for August Wilson's Jitney.  Part
of Wilson's, The Century Cycle, it is the eighth play in his 10-play
series. Jitney takes place in Pittsburgh, PA, in the 1970s.  We are seeking
eight (8) adult African American men of all age ranges and types and one
African American woman.

*Synopsis:*

The story is about a gypsy cab company in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania during
the 1970s, its workers, and how they deal with each other and the changing
landscape of their neighborhood. Filled with drama and humor, the story
reveals their individual histories as well as their lives together as
coworkers and friends.

*The Roles:*

*Becker**: *African American male

Owner of the Jitney station.

*Turnbo**: *African American male

A driver always interested in everyone else’s business.

*Youngblood**: *African American male

A driver and Vietnam veteran.

*Fielding**: *African American male

A driver, alcoholic, and former tailor.

*Doub**: *African American male

A Korean War veteran and longtime driver.

*Shealy**: *African American male

A “Numbers Runner”.

*Booster**: *African American male

Becker’s son and prison parolee.

*Philmore**: *African American male

A local hotel doorman.

*Rena**: *African American female

Youngblood’s girlfriend and mother of his child.

*Director: Jim Weaver, SDC*

*Audition Dates:*

Saturday, November 11, 2017 from 12:00 to 3:00pm

Sunday, November 12, 2017 from 12:00 to 3:00pm

*Please prepare a monologue of your choice suitable for this type of
production. You may be asked to read from the script.*

*Show Dates:*

Shows on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 11 shows total

Opening: Friday, February 02, 2018

Closing: Sunday, February 25, 2018

Friday and Saturday shows start at 8pm

Sunday shows start at 3pm

EXCEPTION: There be no show on Sunday, February 04, 2017 … Super Bowl
Sunday.

*Rehearsals:*

This will be a split rehearsal schedule, meaning that we will have 2 weeks
of rehearsals in December, 2017 (before Christmas), and then pick up with
rehearsals starting the week of January 07, 2018.  Exact dates for both the
December and January time frames have not been determined.  We typically
have rehearsals Sundays thru Wednesdays (4 days / week), but again that is
not yet set in stone.  If you are concerned about dates and timeframes,
please show up at auditions and tell us your limitations.

East Cleveland Theater is a community theater celebrating its 49th Season.  Our
actors, like most of our personnel, are unpaid volunteers.  We hope you
will join us as we entertain and challenge our audiences.  If you have
questions, please call James Charpie at 330-416-1311, or email me at
jcharpie at eastclevelandtheater.org.

East Cleveland Theater

14108 Euclid Avenue

East Cleveland, OH 44112