[NEohioPAL] The King & I

Marc Howard marc.c.howard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 06:43:48 PST 2017

*AURORA COMMUNITY THEATRE*

Auditions

*FOR*

*THE KING & I*

*By Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein III*

*Dustin Oliver*, Director

*Tim Shaffer*, Music Director
Amie Wesley Gable, Choreographer

D. Keith Stiver and Marc C. Howard, Co-Producers

*Audition **Dates & Times*

*Sunday* *Jan. 14*
2 to 4 pm Children’s Audition
6 to 8 pm Adult Audition

*Monday **Jan. 15*
7 to 9 pm Adult Audition

*CALLBACKS*

6 to 8 pm Sunday Jan. 21

*AURORA COMMUNITY THEATRE*

115 E. Pioneer Trail, Aurora, OH 44202

*SEEKING*

Ages 9 through Adult

·         *What to Prepare*

·         Please bring resume and headshot
Prepare 16-32 measures of a classic Broadway song *NOT* from *The King & I*

·         Prepare your sheet music for an accompanist.

·         No acapella or taped music

·         If invited to callbacks, scene work, choreography, and further
music will be given.

*Rehearsals*

Begin Sun. March 4

*Performances*

8 pm Fridays & Saturdays April 27 – May 19
3 pm Sundays May 6 & 13

*For questions or further information, contact the director, Dustin Oliver,
at **dustinmoliver at gmail.com* <dustinmoliver at gmail.com>

*The King & I *
*Character Descriptions*

*King of Siam* – Male (stage age 40s-50s), Baritone (C3-E4), philosophical,
progressive, though somewhat temperamental and stubborn, he leads his
country into a new age with one foot still in the old one. Songs include,
“A Puzzlement,” “Song of the King,” and “Shall We Dance.” Dancing involved.

*Anna Leonowens* – Female (stage age 30s-40s), Soprano (B3-D5), high-minded
yet compassionate, she takes on the ancient traditions of Siam as a teacher
in the Royal Court. Songs include, “Whistle a Happy Tune,” “Hello, Young
Lovers,” “Getting to Know You,” “Shall I Tell You What I Think of You,” and
“Shall We Dance.” Dancing involved.

*The Kralahome* – Male (stage age 40s-50s), non-singing, authoritative and
loyal, he looks out for the King’s best interest while serving as his
right-hand man.

*Captain Orton* – Male (stage age 40s-60s), non-singing, veteran English
sea captain, protective of Anna and her son, Louis. May be cross cast.

*Sir Edward Ramsay* – Male (stage age 30s-40s), non-singing, well-mannered
English official with a keen interest in Anna from his youth. May be cross
cast. Dancing involved.

*Lun Tha* – Male (stage age 20s), Tenor (C3-G4), emissary of the Prince of
Burma who falls helplessly in love with his country’s “present” to the
King, Tuptim. Songs include, “We Kiss in a Shadow” and “I Have Dreamed.”
Dancing involved.

*Tuptim* – Female (stage age 20s), Soprano (C4-G5), idealistic and
rebellious, she is a “present” from the Prince of Burma who falls for his
emissary, Lun Tha. Songs include, “My Lord and Master,” “We Kiss in a
Shadow,” “I Have Dreamed,” and “The Small House of Uncle Thomas”
(narrator). Dancing involved.

*Lady Thiang* – Female (stage age 40s), Mezzo-Soprano (C#4-G5), curious and
insightful, she is one of the King’s many wives and the mother of the
crowned prince, Chulalongkorn. Songs include, “Something Wonderful” and
“Western People Funny.” Dancing involved.

*Prince Chulalongkorn* – Male (stage age 11-12), High Tenor (G3-A4),
intelligent and opinionated, he is the crowned prince of Siam who
constantly questions the world around him. Songs include, “The Royal
Bangkok Academy” (ensemble) and “Reprise: A Puzzlement.” Dancing involved.

*Louis Leonowens* – Male (stage age 9-10), High Tenor (G3-B4), the dutiful
son of Anna, he quickly makes friends with Prince Chulalongkorn as he
stands in awe of his new surroundings. Songs include, “I Whistle a Happy
Tune,” “The Royal Bangkok Academy” (ensemble), and “Reprise: A Puzzlement.”
Dancing involved.

*The Interpreter* – Male (stage age 20s-60s), non-singing, a faithful
servant of the King, he carries out his interpreter duties with fear and
trembling. May be cross cast.

*Phra Alack* – Male (stage age 20s-60s), non-singing, the King’s personal
secretary. May be cross cast.

*Princess Ying Yaowalak* – Female (stage age 9-10), a young daughter of the
king and one of Anna’s pupils. Songs include, “The Royal Bangkok Academy”
(ensemble) and “Getting to Know You” (ensemble). Dancing involved.

*Royal Children* – Male/Female (stage ages 9-13), sons/daughters of the
King and pupils of Anna. Songs include, “The Royal Bangkok Academy” and
“Getting to Know You.” Dancing involved.

*Wives* – Female (stage ages late teens-50s), wives of the King and mothers
of the Royal Children whose ensemble numbers include, “The Royal Bangkok
Academy,” “Getting to Know You,” “Western People Funny,” and “The Small
House of Uncle Thomas.” Dancing involved.

*Ensemble* – Male/Female (stage ages late teens-50s), slaves, servants,
Amazons, dancers, priests, etc. Dancing/Singing involved.