[NEohioPAL] Lakeland Theatre: Merrily We Roll Along

Martin Friedman martinfriedman98 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 04:00:57 PST 2018

*Lakeland Civic Theatre presents*

*Merrily We Roll Along*

Music and Lyrics by

*Stephen Sondheim*

 Book by

*George Furth*

 Directed by *Martin Friedman*

Musical Direction by *Jordan Cooper*

Setting Designed by *Austin Kilpatrick*

Costumes Designed by *Kelsey Tomlinson*

Lighting Designed by* Adam Ditzel*

               Sound Designed by *Eric Simna*

Choreography by *Jennifer Justice*

Production Stage Manager * Elizabeth Cammett*

 *The Play:*

*Merrily We Roll Along, *written in 1981, is based on a 1934 play by George
S. Kaufman and Moss Hart. The musical (with a book by George Furth) was
first produced in November of 1981, where it ran for 17 performances. Not
very successful eh? It tells of the disintegration of the friendship of
successful songwriter Franklin Shepard, his lyricist and best friend
Charlie Kringas, and novelist Mary Flynn. The action moves backward through
time, from 1976 to 1957.

This is one of Stephen Sondheim’s most accessible and difficult scores. It
is most certainly about friendship and its importance in the lives of three
people.  This show has great personal meaning to me. And while the book is
problematic; I am confident that our production team and the actors that
are cast can overcome this. This is one great play.

*Production Dates:*

*Merrily We Roll Along **will open on Friday, February 2, 2018 and run
through February 18, 2018. There will be nine (9) shows; that is three (3)
weeks of performances. *

 *Featuring:*

*Amiee Collier*

*Eric Fancher*

*Trey Gilpin*

*Kelly Smith*

*Daniel Simpson*

*Neely Gevaart*

*Carlos Cruz*

*Kyle Burnett*

*Anne Barrett*

*Sarah Clare*

*Kate Michalski*

*Frank Ivancic*

*Ticket Information: *

Tickets: $15 adults; $13 seniors and $7 for all students.

February 2, 3, 9, 10, 16 and 17, 2018 @ 7:30 pm.

February 4, 11 and 18, 2018 @ 2:00 pm.

Tickets: $15 for adults, $13 for seniors and $7  for all students.

For ticket reservations and information call 440/525-7134 or order tickets
on-line at www.lakelandcc.edu/arts.

*NIGHTTOWN Dates:**
                                NIGHTTOWN KICKS OFF MASTER CLASS SERIES. *

In January, *Merrily* comes to the Nighttown stage when Dr. Martin
Friedman, adjunct theater professor at Lakeland Community College and
Baldwin Wallace, will deliver a “Master Class” on why this musical that so
many thought was destined for success, flopped on Broadway after only 16
performances – and why over the last 30 years it’s become one of Sondheim’s
most beloved musicals.

The Nighttown “Master Class” includes music director Jordan Cooper and
Lakeland cast members performing several songs from *Merrily*. Other Master
Class programs at Nighttown, with similar formats and different directors,
will be announced soon.

*Master Class at Nighttown: “Deconstructing” Sondheim’s Merrily We Roll
Along* will premiere on January 8 at 7:00 pm and repeat on January 22.
Tickets are $10 and can be reserved online at www.nighttowncleveland.com.