[NEohioPAL] Workshop Players Seeking Directors For 2019 - 2020 Season

Workshop Players wspamherst at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 07:03:20 PST 2018

Dear Director,

              We at Workshop Players are launching into the process of
planning for our 72nd season (2019-2020). As the longest running
theater-in-the-round in the state of Ohio, we are pleased to invite you to
apply to direct for and with us during that time period.

For several years we put together our season based solely upon submission
by directors choosing shows that each had a vision to direct. Though I
stand by this process and philosophy, we are sending along a list of shows
with NAME RECOGNITION. Many are taken from compilations of “The Best Plays
of the Past 100 years”. Many are dramas or musicals.

There are few comedies, yet we want to maintain a balance of genres and
styles, so we are still interested in including comedies. Indeed, comedies
have been our bread and butter, so we are eager to learn of those you may
be interested in directing.

             Please note that though we are presenting a list, we have not
thought through the technical aspects of presenting any of these shows in
our unique space. That is, as always, the job of the director. We invite
you to peruse the list to see if any of the titles intrigue you as a
director, get a copy and think through those production elements. We
further invite you to make a combination of suggestions to us, perhaps
choosing 1-2 from the list below, plus 1-2 suggestions of your own.

Beyond the list below, we are especially interested in FAMILY FRIENDLY
SHOWS, AND SHOWS SPECIFICALLY AIMED AT CHILDREN (not necessarily including
children in the cast

—   could be adults performing a show that would bring children into the
theater). We welcome musicals, potentially Christmas offerings, more modern
shows (though those with a lot of foul language may not work for our
audiences).

If you have already directed at Workshop Players, you need not submit a
resume or application, merely your list of play submissions that include
and overview of the play and WHY and HOW you believe each would fit into
our space.

If you have not directed with us, please submit a resume along with your
submissions. Send them to joeandpatprice at centurytel.net.
<joeandpatprice at centurytel.net>These “applications” are due April 1, 2018
(no fooling!). Directors will be interviewed the second week of April by
the Board of Trustees, when 5 directors will be chosen. The play reading
committee will then read all of the plays submitted and meet with each
director in August to finalize a balanced, interesting season.

Thank you for your potential interest in working with us. Please recall
that Workshop Players Theater is a volunteer organization and there is not
stipend for directing, just the joy of making a script come alive in an
intimate space.

Sincerely,

Pat Price

Play Reading Committee Chair (see list of plays below)

Musicals: Chicago

Godspell

Little Shop of Horrors

Man of La Mancha

Honk! (a musical for children)

Seussical

Pippin

Baby

The Last Five Years

Dramas:

Glass Menagerie

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf?

Streetcar Named Desire

Death of a Salesman

Bus Stop

Crimes of the Heart

Lion in Winter

 Doubt

Proof

Lost in Yonkers—dramatic comedy

Comedies

Odd Couple—but change it up to do the female version Harvey

Clybourne Park

The Humans

Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike

The Play that Goes Wrong

Additionally, these are plays that the play reading committee “slept” (in
other words, liked but did not choose in the past)

 Hail Mary, by Tom Dudzick Comedy 2m 3f Playscripts , Inc.

Life With Father by Lindsay/Crouse (done in 1978) 8m, 8f 5 teens Comedy,
Dramatists

Boeing, Boeing by Marc Campletti, Comedy, 2m. 4f Samuel French

Butterflies Are Free, by Leonard Bersne Comedy, 2m, 2f, Samuel French

First Night, by Jack Neary, Comedy, 1m, 1f Samuel French

Philadelphia Story, by Philip Barry, Comedy, 9m, 6f, Samuel French

Sunshine Boys, by Neil Simon, Comedy. 5m, 2f, Samuel French

The Good Doctor, by Neil Simon, Comedy, flexible cast, Samuel French

--
Workshop Players
44820 Middle Ridge Road, Amherst, OH 44001
contact at workshopplayers.com
www.workshopplayers.com

"If all the world's a stage, I want better lighting"