[NEohioPAL] BREAKING NEWS: Revised 'Jane Eyre' Musical to Premiere in Cleveland [CLEVELAND MUSICAL THEATRE]

CMT Public Relations info at clevelandmusicaltheatre.com
Tue Mar 6 14:46:07 PST 2018

Cleveland Musical Theatre Presents World Premiere Of Revised JANE EYRE

In fall of 2018, Cleveland Musical Theatre will present the world premiere
of a newly revised musical version of *Jane Eyre* in Cleveland, Ohio. This
re-conceived version of *Jane Eyre* is the result of a yearlong
collaboration between *CMT’s Artistic Director, Miles J. Sternfeld*, *Tony
Award-nominated composer/lyricist Paul Gordon *and *Tony Award-winning book
writer John Caird*. The production will premiere at Tri-C East’s Simon Rose
Mandel Theatre on Cleveland’s east side.

First seen on the Broadway stage in 2000, *Jane Eyre* –
Charlotte Brontë’s most famous female heroine – comes to life in this
revisal of Caird and Gordon's sweeping masterpiece. A strong-willed and
resilient young woman, Jane's journey to find independence brings her face
to face with love, death, and an unimaginable secret. Told through a lush
score*, Jane Eyre* has garnered a tremendous fan following worldwide,
earning the musical* 5 Tony Award nominations*.

“For a few years now, Paul Gordon and I have been keen to explore the
possibility of creating a chamber version of our Broadway musical *Jane
Eyre, *in order to make the show a more practical proposition for small and
medium-sized theatre companies around the world,” said Caird, the musical’s
book writer.

Sternfeld, CMT’s founder and director of this revised *Jane Eyre*,
approached Gordon and Caird to develop the new version with CMT. This
collaboration led to a starry 29-hour reading in New York, featuring
*Broadway’s
Tam Mutu* (*Dr. Zhivago*) and *Stephanie Umoh* (*Ragtime*), and a
subsequent workshop in Cleveland.

“The process has enabled us to cut down the size of cast and orchestra and
streamline the story, intensifying the emotional journey of the central
characters and giving a smaller supporting cast much more to do,” said
Caird.  “We are very pleased with the way the work has evolved so far and
excited to see the new version prove itself in a full production in
Cleveland.”

The premiere in Cleveland will feature a cast of 10 actors, starring
Broadway and Cleveland-based artists alongside emerging young talent. This
version will be more intimate and ensemble-driven, with actors playing
multiple roles and debuting new songs by Gordon.

“One of the many reasons John Caird and I are thrilled to be bringing this
new chamber version of *Jane Eyre* to Cleveland is -- not only will we have
the opportunity to reexamine the material -- but we can create a new
version of the show that is made for the 21st century,” Gordon said.

“Working with Miles Sternfeld and this young, talented team
allows John Caird and I the chance to rework the material, creating a more
intimate piece than it was on Broadway. And once we have the show exactly
where we want it creatively, the next step would be to capture and stream
the show to a worldwide audience.”

Gordon believes "streaming" will be a large part of *Jane Eyre*’s future
along with re-licensing this re-worked version.

“Our production in Cleveland will make these goals possible,“ Gordon said.
“We have a unique opportunity right now to make musical theatre affordable,
accessible and sustainable.  We believe that *Jane Eyre* can be one of the
first shows to pave the way for this exciting new platform. John Caird and
I are truly excited about the journey ahead and we welcome the chance to
come to Cleveland and make *Jane Eyre* the best musical it can be.”

*Jane Eyre* is directed by CMT's Artistic Director *Miles J. Sternfeld*,
with Music Supervision/Orchestrations by *Brad Haak*, Choreography by *Martín
Céspedes*, Scenic Design by *Gabriel Firestone*, Costume Design by *Sydney
Gallas*, Lighting Design by *Benjamin Gantose*, Sound Design by *Carlton
Guc*, and Casting by *Jamibeth Margolis*.

CMT is a non-profit professional theater company that produces newly
developed and re-imagined musical theatre, featuring Broadway and Cleveland
artists with emerging talent, and offers educational programs. By serving
as Cleveland’s only Equity theatre company devoted to musical theatre, CMT
seeks to push artistic boundaries and redefine Cleveland as a national arts
destination.

Tickets for *Jane Eyre* at *Cleveland Musical Theatre* go on sale May 1st.
For more information, please visit www.ClevelandMusicalTheatre.org.