[NEohioPAL] Memorial Screening of "The Sax Man" at Tower City Cinemas

Dave Huffman dhuffman at clevelandcinemas.com
Fri Apr 20 14:01:59 PDT 2018

Contact: David Huffman, Cleveland Cinemas Director of Marketing
  440.349.3306 dhuffman at clevelandcinemas.com

April 20, 2018

MEMORIAL SCREENING OF “THE SAX MAN” AT TOWER CITY CINEMAS
Admission benefits the funeral fund for Maurice Reedus, Jr.

(Cleveland, OH) On Monday, April 16th, Maurice Reedus, Jr. (better known to most Clevelanders simply as “Sax Man”) passed away in his apartment on E. 89th St. Reedus was a downtown fixture as he serenaded pedestrians with his signature instrument as they went to and from sporting events and other attractions.

In his memory, Cleveland Cinemas will present a special screening of the 2014 award winning documentary about Reedus, THE SAX MAN, at Tower City Cinemas (230 W. Huron Rd, Cleveland, OH) on Thursday, May 3rd at 7:30 PM.

"The Sax Man has been the soundtrack to Cleveland for over 20 years.  He was a cultural icon and a treasure to the city,” says Todd Bemak, Executive Producer of the film.  “With every note, he touched our lives by bringing joy to our faces and warm memories to our hearts. I hope everyone will come celebrate his life and legacy with us at Tower City Cinemas on May 3rd.”

THE SAX MAN premiered at the Cleveland International Film Festival in March of 2014. The documentary went on to win the “Local Heroes” award and played to sold out crowds.

Proceeds from ticket sales from this memorial screening will be donated to Reedus’ family to aid in his funeral expense.

Tickets to THE SAX MAN are $10 and are on sale at the Tower City Cinemas box office and online at clevelandcinemas.com. Additional donations for the funeral fund will be accepted at the theatre that evening.

About the film:
Everyone in Cleveland is probably familiar with the “Sax Man.” Whether he's playing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” outside Progressive Field or rocking The Addams Family theme in Public Square, his presence is hard to miss. But how much do you actually know about him? Maurice Reedus, Jr. is the son of a Grammy Award-winning jazz musician, who was headed for his own success in the R&B world. Before becoming a street musician, Reedus was a member of Sly, Slick & Wicked's backing band in the 70s. The group, famous for hits like “Stay My Love,” were playing arenas and earning respect from James Brown. They appeared on Soul Train and eventually signed to Motown. THE SAX MAN chronicles his journey from stadiums to the streets. It also follows him as he prepares for a reunion with Sly, Slick & Wicked, an event that offers Reedus a final shot at redemption. This heartening documentary reveals an incredible Cleveland talent whose musical accomplishments have gone unnoticed for far too long. —E.F. (Cleveland International Film Festival)

# # #