[NEohioPAL] $50k grant will allow TCT to develop sensory-friendly theatre productions

TCT Intern mi.talespinnerchildrenstheatre at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:17:54 PDT 2018

Talespinner Children's Theatre is honored to announce that we have been
awarded a Cleveland Foundation grant of $50,0000 for the research and
development of sensory-friendly programming for children and young adults.
This  will allow us to expand the scope of our mission to ensure all
children and families can experience the magic of live theatre in an
environment where they feel safe and included.

We will learn as a company through collaborations and partnerships with
families and Cleveland-based organizations who specialize in providing care
and educational opportunities to children who are better served under
sensory-friendly conditions. This includes the creation of performances
which are sign-interpreted, less sensory-overwhelming, and provide an
artistic experience for children and families who frequently do not have
access to this type of programming and enrichment.

"I believe that the arts should be available and accessible to all--in the
truest sense of the word.  Talespinner Children's Theatre was founded in
this belief.  We are so grateful to The Cleveland Foundation for their
belief in, and support of this new programming that reaches out to children
and young adults that are often overlooked--or who have no access to
programs that fit their needs.  It is our hope that, throughout the
development and growth of this arts programming, we can help to fill a need
in this community, start a dialogue and exploration of what those needs and
desires are, and begin to expand the awareness and creative potential for
the families and children--as well as artists and teachers--in the area."
-- TCT Founder and Executive Artistic Director Alison Garrigan

*A word from The Cleveland Foundation:*

We’re thrilled to announce a $50,000 March grant to Talespinner Children's
Theatre <https://www.facebook.com/TCT4kids/?fref=mentions> supporting the
development of four sensory-friendly #theater
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/theater?source=feed_text> productions for
children and young adults with special needs such as #autism
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/autism?source=feed_text>, and hearing and
sight impairment. Over the next two years, Talespinner Children’s Theatre
(TCT) will develop sensory-friendly and financially-accessible programming,
both artistic and educational, for differently-abled children and young
adults in Greater #Cleveland
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/cleveland?source=feed_text>. The result
will be four one-weekend-long productions, each addressing a specific
special need. One production will pay special attention to signed
interpretation, one to tactile experience, one will be low-stimulation, and
one will address child audience members who may have special physical
needs, such as wheelchairs. Once the program is fully developed, TCT will
create professional development workshops to help broaden interest and
deepen conversation about the need to provide arts programming for children
and young adults with differing developmental abilities.

*Stop by 2-5PM May 6 for Sundae Sunday: a benefit for Talespinner
Children's Theatre the whole family can attend!
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1664826206971208/>*

Theatre games! Face paints! Crafts! TCT characters! And Sweet Moses ICE
CREAM!

Drench your ice cream in chocolate sauce, sprinkles and whipped cream as
you help us continue our mission, providing quality, locally produced
programming for every family!

You'll get to see some of your favorite TCT characters from past
productions as you learn theatre games, have your face painted and make a
puppet or mask of your very own to take home! At TCT we want you to let
your imagination PLAY!

*Join us for this springtime benefit - a sweet way to help us spin tales
for years to come.*

Tickets:
Children (12 and under): $10
Seniors and Students (with ID): $12
Adults: $15

Marketing and Box Office
Talespinner Children's Theatre

*2018 Season:*

*The Oba Asks For a Mountain** (A Tale of Nigeria)* April 7 - 29
By Gail Nyoka, Directed by Chennelle Byrant Harris, Movement by Andrea
Belser

*The Princess and the Nightingale (A Tale of Thailand)* June 9 - July 1
By Marian Fairman, Directed by Tim Maca, Movement and Music by Devon Turchan

*Jan and the Trickster (A Traveling Tale of Poland)/Stay & Play Matinees * July
20-22
By Krysia Orlowski, Directed by Charles Hargrave

*The Boy Who Stole the Sun (An Inuit Creation Tale)* Sept. 15 - Oct. 7
In partnership with L.E.N.A.C., Adapted & Directed by Alison Garrigan

*A Song in the Flame (A Tale of Israel) *Nov. 24 - Dec. 16
By Margi Herwald Zitelli, Directed by Alison Garrigan, Movement by
Stephanie Wilbert

Reinberger Auditorium | 5209 Detroit Ave. - Cleveland, Ohio 44102 |
216.264.9680
www.talespinnerchildrenstheatre.org