[NEohioPAL] FCC Wireless Update

Carlton Guc carlton at carltonguc.com
Thu May 10 05:10:58 PDT 2018

Greetings sound tech and wireless users/owners,

You may have heard some noise about changes regarding RF Spectrum.   A couple years ago we (wireless mic users) were knocked out of the 700Mhz frequency spectrum.  This year (as of July 1st 2018) we will also be knocked out of the 600Mhz frequency spectrum. (604 or higher).   Our industry will have 18 months to vacate the 600Mhz frequency spectrum or potentially be fined if our wireless interferes with other devices.

While we have a bit of time to transition, you may already be experiencing additional RF issues as T-Mobile and other cellular carriers are already broadcasting in the 600mhz range.

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2017/04/t-mobile-preps-record-breaking-600-mhz-launch

We're now left with a range of 470-604 (TV Channels 2 through 36) of viable spectrum, which may seem like a lot, anyone who does frequency coordination will know that we're getting pretty crammed.  Coordination has to take in account any local TV antennas, other broadcasting equipment in our spectrum, and combinations of frequencies that create interference.  Older equipment is less tolerant of packing frequencies close together and so on.

Most manufactures are offering trade in programs for equipment in the 600 range, and there is new technology that is available in the 2.4Ghz range (yes WiFi range, but with planning could net 12 to 20 RF microphones).   Check with your local sound person and if you have questions, drop me a note.

Regards,
Carlton
Carlton Guc<https://www.carltonguc.com/>
440-724-9805