[NEohioPAL] Fun free concerts Fri/Sat/Sun

Malina Rauschenfels malrausch at gmail.com
Thu May 17 08:23:22 PDT 2018

​If you like chamber music, opera, comedy, early music or the French
language, ​j
oin Burning River Baroque for a diverse concert full of epic plot twists
and compelling questions about how we interact with others in
relationships. This intriguing program of French cantatas and harpsichord
solos by Élisabeth Jacquet de la Guerre, Julie Pinel, and Nicolas Racot de
Grandval urges audience members to choose their own adventure while
engaging with the characters. Can Sémele live to see her lover appear as a
god? How do our reactions to the snapshot of her story in Jacquet de la
Guerre’s cantata parallel our judgments of issues and people portrayed in
the media? In Pinel’s cantata, we examine issues of consent in
relationships and see a classic example of a lover pining after a
disinterested beloved. In this refreshing story, the pursuer does not
conquer his beloved nor force her to turn into a tree to escape; instead,
he implores the nightingales to sing her a heartwarming song. In Grandval's
epic parody, one soprano plays six different characters in an
extraordinarily comedic rendition of "The Widow from Ephesus." This
captivating hour of exquisite music will raise questions, challenge
beliefs, and provide an excellent side of humor for good measure.

Malina Rauschenfels, soprano & baroque violin
Paula Maust, harpsichord

Friday, May 18, 2018 ~ 7:30pm
The Institute at St. John's Ohio City
2600 Church Ave