[NEohioPAL] Ensemble Theatre presents its 39th Consecutive Season!

Ensemble Theatre info at ensemble-theatre.org
Mon May 21 22:23:02 PDT 2018

Press Release: For immediate release.

Contact: *info at ensemble-theatre.org <info at ensemble-theatre.org>*
Phone: *216-321-2930 *

ENSEMBLE THEATRE prepares to open its 39th consecutive Season!
*THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT*
Our entire 2018-2019 Season will take place in the heart of Coventry
Village on the Coventry P.E.A.C.E. Campus!!!
JOIN US! What stories we have to tell!

*ALABAMA STORY*
By *Kenneth Jones *
Directed by Tyler Whidden
*Ohio Premiere*
September 7th- September 30th
MainStage Theater

A gentle children’s book with an apparent hidden message — a black rabbit
marries a white rabbit! — stirs the passions of a segregationist State
Senator and a no-nonsense State Librarian in 1959 Montgomery, Alabama, just
as the civil rights movement is flowering. Another story of childhood
friends — an African-American man and a white woman, reunited in adulthood
in Montgomery that same year — provides private counterpoint to the public
events of the play.

“I wrote Alabama Story several years before our current political moment,
but the characters, ideas and themes that surface in the play seem more
alive than ever: it’s a story of censorship, saber-rattling politicians,
persecuted women, Southerners dismissing national opinions, naked racism,
threatened civil rights, attacks on the free flow of information. It’s also
a love story, a political thriller and, at times, a comedy. Really. The
play is set in 1959, and it’s both heartening and horrifying to me that
everything old is new again. Inspired by true events, I ended up writing a
play about how we treat each other in times of social crisis. I’m excited
that Alabama Story is getting its Ohio Premiere by Ensemble Theatre in a
time when conversations about the quality of American character are so
highly charged.” - Kenneth Jones

*“Dynamic! Rich! Impressive! Cleverly crafted! Articulate! Razor-sharp!” -
Salt Lake Tribune“A real-life controversy about a children’s book from 1959
is the basis for a new play with freshly relevant themes.” - American
Theatre*

*EAST OF EDEN*
By *John Steinbeck*
Adapted by* Frank Galati* (Steppenwolf Company Member)
Directed by Ian Wolfgang Hinz
*Northeast Ohio Premiere*
October 19th - November 11th
MainStage Theater

Escaping a turbulent past, Adam Trask is determined to make a new start in
California’s Salinas Valley. Adam and his wife, Cathy, settle on a
beautiful farm, and soon Cathy gives birth to twins Caleb and Aron. But
family history, sibling rivalry, and the impending danger of World War I
will threaten their little piece of paradise. EAST OF EDEN is an American
epic, grand in scope yet deeply personal, that asks if it is possible to
escape the mistakes of previous generations.

*“Rich in symbolism and substance…a significant achievement…” - Chicago
Tribune. “Steinbeck’s novel, in [an] adaptation by Frank Galati, is an
intriguing combination of Old Testament severity and new-fangled Freudian
analysis, with a nature-versus-nurture overlay. A story of the catastrophic
relationship between a man who loved blindly, and a woman incapable of
loving anyone…” - Chicago Sun-Times."... probably the best of John
Steinbeck's novels." - The New York Times Book Review"I think this may be
the best book I've ever read. I brought the book club back to share this
book with you." - Oprah, Oprah's Book Club choice.*

*AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS. *
by *Jules Verne*
*World Premiere* adapted by *Shahrazad Theatre Company* produced in
association with *Ensemble Theatre*
Directed by August Scarpelli
November 30th - December 16th
PlayGround Theater

Adapted from the classic adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne,
published in 1873, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French
valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a
£20,000 wager: New friends, strange acquaintances, and careful planning
could be the only way...
Though this was only possible if nothing would hinder his success? Did we
mention that there is a warrant out for his arrest?

*A new interactive and theatrical adaptation of the Jules Verne Classic for
the whole family!*

*A RAISIN IN THE SUN*
By *Lorraine Hansberry *
Directed by Celeste Cosentino
January 25th - February 17th.
MainStage Theater

A Raisin in the Sun was the first play written by a black woman to be
produced on Broadway, as well as the first with a black director, Mr. Lloyd
Richards. Set on Chicago’s South Side, the plot revolves around the
divergent dreams and conflicts within three generations of the Younger
family: son Walter Lee, his wife Ruth, his sister Beneatha, his son Travis,
and matriarch Lena. When her deceased husband’s insurance money comes
through, Mama Lena dreams of moving to a new home and a better neighborhood
in Chicago. Walter Lee, a chauffeur, has other plans: buying a liquor store
and being his own man. Beneatha dreams of medical school. The tensions and
prejudice they face form this seminal American drama. The Younger family’s
heroic struggle to retain dignity in a harsh and changing world is a
searing and timeless document of hope and inspiration.

*"Pivotal play in the history of the American Black theatre." - Newsweek"A
milestone in the American Theatre." - EbonyNY Drama Critics Circle Best
Play 1959.*

*A MOON FOR THE MISBEGOTTEN*
By *Eugene O'Neill*
Directed by Ian Wolfgang Hinz
March 8th - March 30th
MainStage Theater

Following the events of O’Neill’s classic Long Day’s Journey into Night,
Moon for the Misbegotten brings James “Jamie” Tyrone, Jr. to the home of
his tenant farmer, Mike Hogan, a salty Irish geezer. There he encounters,
after years, Hogan’s voluptuous, Amazon-like daughter, Josie. During one
moonlit night, as the lovestruck Josie seems to claim him as her own, the
truculent, drunken Jamie drowns in a wave of self-pity and remorse. When
dawn comes, the moon is gone and so is the man, leaving Josie with a new
challenge to her dauntless spirit.

*Eugene O'Neill's final work."Another beautiful play by O'Neill [...] a
compelling piece for the theatre." - New York Daily News*

2019 COLOMBI NEW PLAYS FESTIVAL:
*THE WAY I DANCED WITH YOU*
By *David Hansen. *
Directed by Tyler Whidden
*World Premiere*
March 21st - April 7th
(Special Dates and Times*) Check our website for details!

*Stay Tuned for more information on a revamping of our new play
initiatives!  10 Minute Play Festival and Staged Readings in March and
April!Titles, Directors, and Dates coming soon! Stay Tuned! *

*WATER BY THE SPOONFUL*
by *Quiara Alegría Hudes*
Directed by Celeste Cosentino
*Northeast Ohio Premiere*
April 26th-May 19th.
MainStage Theater

Somewhere in Philadelphia, Elliot has returned from Iraq and is struggling
to find his place in the world. Somewhere in a chat room, recovering
addicts keep each other alive, hour by hour, day by day. The boundaries of
family and community are stretched across continents and cyberspace as
birth families splinter and online families collide. WATER BY THE SPOONFUL
is a heartfelt meditation on lives on the brink of redemption.
*Winner of the 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Drama

*"The play is a combination poem, prayer and app on how to cope in an age
of uncertainty, speed and chaos. When cyber meets the real world, anger
gives way to forgiveness and resistance becomes redemption; the heart of
the play opens up and the waters flow freely." —Variety."Most of all, the
play... has a warm, welcoming spirit and a life-affirming message. People
instinctively take care of each other; hitting bottom is the start of the
trip back up." -Time*

*Please Note:* Shows, dates and times are subject to change! Always check
our website for updates!
All curtain times and dates are listed on our website!

SINGLE TICKETS are *$12-$29* *(On Sale June 1st)*
SEASON PASSES are *$34-$364.* *(On Sale NOW!) *
Ensemble Theatre Season passes are FLEX TICKET PACKAGES that can be used in
any combination for any production!

EARLY BIRD SPECIAL!
Buy a season pass by June 30th and we'll throw-in TWO FREE TICKETS for you
to give to a friend who is new to Ensemble!
Introduce new audiences to Ensemble Theatre!

CLICK HERE
<https://squareup.com/store/ensemble-theatre-of-cleveland/item/season-pass>
to buy a season pass or visit *www.ensembletheatreCLE.org
<http://www.ensembletheatreCLE.org>* to purchase online!
Call *216-321-2930* or email *info at ensemble-theatre.org
<info at ensemble-theatre.org>* for more information!

Ensemble Theatre is located at 2843 Washington Blvd. Cleveland Hts., OH
44118.  In the heart of Coventry Village!

We look forward to seeing you in our audience!

A note on our associate company in residence Shahrazad Theatre Company:
Ensemble is proud to support the next generation of Cleveland Theater
artists by welcoming Cleveland's newest theatre company, Shahrazad Theatre
Company (STC), to the PlayGround theater for their second consecutive year.
STC is Co-Founded by Ensemble staff members Kyle Huff, Kayla Davis, and
August Scarpelli. Ensemble serves as fiscal agent and mentor organization
for STC's residence. For more info, look for their Facebook and Twitter
pages!

--
Information
*info at ensemble-theatre.org <info at ensemble-theatre.org>*