[NEohioPAL] Lakeland seeking Mr. Erlanson for Little Night Music: compensated

Martin Friedman martinfriedman98 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:03:05 PDT 2018

*Lakeland Theatre*

*is auditioning for the role of *

*MR. ERLANSON*

*in*

*A Little Night Music*

Music and Lyrics by

*Stephen Sondheim*

 Book by

*Hugh Wheeler*

Directed by *Martin Friedman*

Musical Direction by *Jordan Cooper*

Sound Designed by *Eric Simna *

 Settings Designed by *Aaron Benson*

Costumes Designed by *Kelsey Tomlinson*

 Lighting Designed by *Adam Ditzel *

*The Play:*

*A Little Night Music* was the first play my parents took me too on
Broadway (a double feature with *The Sunshine Boys*) in 1973. While I was
only 20 years old, the story immediately captured my attention;  unrequited
love, beautiful melodies and a total lack of misunderstanding amongst all
the characters… now that was drama! Based on the Ingmar Bergman film *Smiles
of a Summer Night*, this musical with a book by Hugh Wheeler, concerns
three mismatched couples. Desiree Armfeldt, an actress, is seeing Count
Carl-Magnus Malcolm who is married to Charlotte Malcolm. Frederik Egerman,
Desiree's past lover, is married to the still-virginal Anne, who is half
his age. Henrik Egerman, Frederik's son who is also a divinity student,
loves his stepmother Anne, who is a year younger than him. Petra, Frederik
and Anne's maid, Madame Armfeldt, Desiree's mother, and Frederica,
Desiree's daughter round out the action which occurs in town and at "A
Weekend in the Country" at Madame Armfeldt's house in the land of the
midnight sun. The musical features a lieder quintet as a Greek chorus.

*Audition Information:*

*PLEASE SEND A TAPE OF YOURSELF and a resume to either Jordan Cooper or
Martin Friedman. NO APPOINTMENT IS NECESSARY. *

*Please: **One 32 bar cut in the style of the show. A Sondheim piece is
preferred. A strong command of musical styles and vocal athleticism is
greatly needed for this show.*

*THIS ROLE IS COMPENSATED.  *

*Mr. Erlanson: Between the ages of 20 and 70.  TENOR (B5). This role will
be a part of a group of Liebeslieder singers (who act much like a Greek
Chorus). They will sing and act quite a bit.*

*Production and Rehearsal Dates:*

*A Little Night Music **will open on Friday, September 7 and run through
Sunday September 30, 2018. There will be twelve (12) shows; that is four
(4) weeks of performances.  Rehearsals will begin in early August, and will
be based upon your schedule. I understand summer vacations may intercede.
Regular rehearsals will be regularly scheduled beginning on August 6 and
will run Monday thru Sundays according to your schedules and holidays. *

For more information please feel free to contact me, Martin Friedman at
martinfriedman98 at gmail.com or at 216/233-5441. Please also feel free to
contact Jordan Cooper at jcooper27 at me.com.