[NEohioPAL] ENSEMBLE opens its 39th consecutive season with Alabama Story!

Ensemble Theatre info at ensemble-theatre.org
Mon Aug 13 15:00:29 PDT 2018

*Press Release: For Immediate Release*

Contact: *info at ensemble-theatre.org/tickets at ensemble-theatre.org
<http://info@ensemble-theatre.org/tickets@ensemble-theatre.org>*
Phone: *216-321-2930 *

ENSEMBLE THEATRE to open its 39th consecutive Season!
*-THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT-*

with

*ALABAMA STORY*
By *Kenneth Jones  *
Directed by *Tyler Whidden*

*Ohio Premiere!!*
*September 7th- September 30th*
*MainStage Theater*

A gentle children’s book with an apparent hidden message — a black rabbit
marries a white rabbit! — stirs the passions of a segregationist State
Senator and the no-nonsense State Librarian in 1959 Montgomery, Alabama,
just as the civil rights movement is flowering. Another story of childhood
friends — an African-American man and a white woman, reunited in adulthood
in Montgomery that same year — provides private counterpoint to the public
events of the play.

*Alabama Story* was the finalist for several major playwriting awards
including the Eugene O’Neill National Playwrights Conference and the
Steinberg/American Theatre Critics Association New Play Award. With over a
dozen professional productions across the country, Ensemble is proud to
bring this wonderfully important play to the stage for its Ohio Premiere!

“I wrote Alabama Story several years before our current political moment,
but the characters, ideas and themes that surface in the play seem more
alive than ever: it’s a story of censorship, saber-rattling politicians,
persecuted women, Southerners dismissing national opinions, naked racism,
threatened civil rights, attacks on the free flow of information. It’s also
a love story, a political thriller and, at times, a comedy. Really. The
play is set in 1959, and it’s both heartening and horrifying to me that
everything old is new again. Inspired by true events, I ended up writing a
play about how we treat each other in times of social crisis. I’m excited
that Alabama Story is getting its Ohio Premiere by Ensemble Theatre in a
time when conversations about the quality of American character are so
highly charged.”* -Kenneth Jones*

“Dynamic! Rich! Impressive! Cleverly crafted! Articulate! Razor-sharp!”*
-Salt Lake Tribune*

“A real-life controversy about a children’s book from 1959 is the basis for
a new play with freshly relevant themes.” *-American Theatre*

*Our entire 2018|2019 Season will take place in the heart of Coventry
Village on the Coventry P.E.A.C.E. Campus!!!*
2843 W. Washington Blvd | Cleveland Heights, OH 44118

So JOIN US! What stories we have to tell!

We are also excited to partner with the *Heights Libraries*
<https://heightslibrary.org/> for additional programming!
Stay tuned for a schedule of surrounding activities and talkbacks!!
*There will be a SKYPE TALKBACK with the PLAYWRIGHT Kenneth Jones following
the September 23rd Performance!*

*PERFORMANCES: *
Fridays and Saturdays @ 8pm. Sundays @ 2pm
*216-321-2930*
*tickets at ensemble-theatre.org <tickets at ensemble-theatre.org>*

*With an amazing cast and crew of LOCAL artists!*
*Ensemble Members: *
*Anne McEvoy *as Emily Reed.
*Joseph Milan* as Senator Higgins
*Craig Joseph* as Garth Williams

*And introducing new members to the Ensemble Family: *
*Cody Kilpatrick Steele* as Thomas Franklin
*Eugene Sumlin* as Josh Moore
*Adrienne Jones* as Lily Whitfield.

Executive Artistic Director/Producer: *Celeste Cosentino*
Associate Artistic Director/Director: *Tyler Whidden*
General Manager/Production Stage Manager: *Becca Moseley*
Light and Sound Design by* Ian Hinz*
Set Design by *Walter Boswell*
Technical Director *August Scarpelli *
Costume Design by *Meg Parish*

*PARKING*
Parking can be found in the Coventry School parking lot to the south of the
theatre, also along Washington Blvd and surrounding streets.

*SINGLE TICKETS
<https://squareup.com/store/ensemble-theatre-of-cleveland/item/alabama-story>
*are *$12-$29* (On Sale NOW)

*SEASON PASSES <http://www.ensembletheatrecle.org/season-tickets/>* are
*$34-$364.* (On Sale NOW!)
Ensemble Season passes are FLEX TICKET PACKAGES that can be used in any
combination for any production!

*CLICK HERE <http://www.ensembletheatrecle.org/season-tickets/>* to buy a
season pass or visit *www.ensembletheatreCLE.org
<http://www.ensembletheatreCLE.org>* to purchase online and for more info!
Call *216-321-2930* or email *tickets at ensemble-theatre.org
<tickets at ensemble-theatre.org> *for more information!

*Great Scripts. Cleveland Artists!*
We look forward to seeing you in our audience!