[NEohioPAL] Michael Chekhov Workshop in Lakewood this Weekend

Ray Caspio raycaspio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 10:47:00 PDT 2018

”We know how important it is that our bodies become very fine instruments
for conveying our experience to the audience; that our body is in full
harmony with our psychology, with our soul…All our physical exercises will
be considered and done as psycho-physical exercises…We want to fill, to
permeate our bodies with psychological values. We have to imagine our body
as a kind of sponge which eagerly absorbs all that is given to it in the
form of psychological values.”

Michael Chekhov

WHAT ARE WE DOING?

In A Kind of Sponge, we will explore Qualities of Movement (Moulding,
Floating, Flying, and Radiating), The Four Brothers (Feelings of Ease,
Form, Beauty, and the Whole), and characterization with Imaginary Body.

WHEN IS IT?

September 21-September 23, 2018
Sept. 21 — 6:30-9:30pm
Sept. 22 — 11:00am-3:00pm (with a short lunch break)
Sept. 23 — 11:00am-3:00pm (with a short lunch break)

WHO IS THIS FOR?

This exploration is open to performing artists new to or experienced in the
Michael Chekhov Technique.

WHERE?

Art On Madison
14203 Madison Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107
(Plenty of free parking is available on Madison and nearby side streets.
Please avoid metered parking, if possible, so you can remain in the stream
of our exploration.)

WHAT'S MY INVESTMENT?

$70.00 for this three day workshop.
REGISTRATION CLOSES THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20th AT 11:59PM.

HOW DO I REGISTER?

E-mail Ray Caspio at raycaspio [at] gmail [dot] com with a brief note
detailing your experience with the technique and your interest in the
exploration. You will then be directed to a registration page.

Four spots remain.

WHAT SHOULD I BRING?

•Clothing and clean shoes you are comfortable in that allow for movement.
•Notebook and writing instrument.
*One minute of memorized text to explore with. Please bring text you’ve
never explored with before. Please do not make any acting choices with the
text.

WHAT IS THE MICHAEL CHEKHOV TECHNIQUE?

The Michael Chekhov Technique is a holistic, psycho-physical approach to
acting that synthesizes the actor's body and psychology. You discover how
the magic of your movement, in tandem with your imagination and feeling
life, has the ability to enliven the spaces within yourself, as well as the
spaces around you. Solo and ensemble explorations in movement,
concentration, atmosphere, and gesture increase your flexibility, honesty,
joy, and ease as a performing artist. Through Psychological Gesture, you
learn to free your body as a conduit for the soul of your character. Your
Creative Individuality is supported and nourished, your artistic work
becomes more inspired, and the practices are easily transferred to your
daily life.

WHO'S LEADING THIS EXPLORATION?

Ray Caspio is a performance and teaching artist whose satirical work
invites audiences into the worlds of his eccentric characters. Ray is a
recipient of a 2016 Creative Workforce Fellowship. He has appeared on the
annual Best of Theatre Lists for Cleveland Scene Magazine (2014 and 2017)
and WCPN/NPR’s The Sound of Applause (2014). In 2014, he was profiled by
Scene as their Thespian of the year. Ray has performed at Theater Ninjas
(Associate Artistic Director 2012-2015), Playhouse Square, Dobama Theatre,
Cleveland Public Theatre, convergence-continuum, Talespinner Children’s
Theatre, and the Cleveland Museum of Art. He has taught for Cleveland Play
House, Playhouse Square, MetroHealth Arts-in-Medicine, and the Cleveland
Museum of Art. Ray’s training includes Bouffon, Eccentric Performing, the
Alba Method, personal storytelling, and sketch writing and improv (Second
City Chicago). His studies in the Michael Chekhov Technique have brought
him to the Michael Chekhov School in Hudson, NY, where he worked with
master teachers Ted Pugh, Fern Sloan, and Ragnar Freidank; and to the
international faculty of MICHA: The Michael Chekhov Association.
raycaspio.com