[NEohioPAL] CASTING CALL FOR CIA - SHORT FILM

Emily Flory elflory at student.cia.edu
Mon Sep 24 13:17:35 PDT 2018

THE WOOD NYMPH – CASTING CALL

	We are a small digital cinema class at The Cleveland Institute of Art creating a short, modern adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen fairytale, “The Wood Nymph.” This story follows the wood nymph, who is stuck in her tree, as she desperately longs to break free of her natural setting and experience the city. She is transported after a moon beam grants her one night in the city with the repercussion that she can not return to her natural oasis and will only live for the one night. She is exposed to varying strange scenarios in the overwhelming city until her death at the end of the night. This short film will be a contemporary portrait of Cleveland.

Because we are working with little to no budget, we are unable to compensate for these roles, but we plan to promote multiple screenings and exhibitions which will benefit both our practices and portfolios. Food and refreshments will be provided on set. We hope that you will find interest in this project and help us bring it to life!

Auditions will take place on Friday, September 28, 2–5PM
@ The Cleveland Institute of Art, Screening Room 321
RSVP Required: Please email elflory at student.cia.edu

We are holding an open casting call for the following characters:

Dryad (Wood Nymph): Main character, seemingly innocent, but with desire and guts, knowledge of nature, intuitive
Age: 20s, Female.
Personality: independent, curious, adventurous, determined.
Days needed on set: 5–7

Moon Beam: mysterious, magical, wood spirit, journey guide, brutally honest, narrates
actions throughout the film. Also acts as chauffeur and landlord.
Age: 18+
Gender: Open to various interpretations
Days needed on set: 2–3

Eccentric Father Figure: drunkard, domineering, erratic, womanizer,
Has to be able to chop down trees in the night
Has to be able to story tell
Outfit: regular day clothes
Male, 40+,
Days needed on set: 2

Marie: Rich city woman, comes from nature and is idolized by the Dryad. Her character arch foreshadows fate of the Dryad.
Age: 30+
Outfit: Fancy dress
Days needed on set: 2

Rats (2x):  Aging businessmen longing for industrialized past, disheveled and ungroomed
Age: 50-60s,
Gender: white male
Outfit: tattered suits
Days needed on set: 1

Dance partner:  coy, gentleman, smooth, classy,
Age: early 20’s
Outfit: Tux or three-piece suit
Days needed on set: 1

Hesitant couple: typical just-married couple, able to argue like they’re married.
Outfit: hip city attire
Days needed on set: 1