[NEohioPAL] Wireless Update

Carlton Guc carlton at carltonguc.com
Wed Sep 26 06:05:25 PDT 2018

If you use wireless microphones, you'll want to know the following:

You probably already have heard that T-Mobile purchased a block of frequencies that has impacted wireless microphone users.  T-Mobile has been rolling out updated equipment through the country and Cleveland/Akron is on the list for 4Q 2018.

https://howmobileworks.com/spectrum/

This will impact wireless microphone users who have equipment in the 600 MHz range. Depending on many factors you may or may not be impacted, however broadcasting (using a wireless microphone) in that range will be considered a violation and you may be fined. The effective date of this transition was July 2018 and users have 18 months to vacate the 600 MHz range before violations will be enforced.

If you have wireless microphones (or other RF gear) in the 600 MHz range, connect with your sound team to determine what your options are.  Most RF manufactures have a trade in program.  New brand name equipment could be pricy - there are some really good less expensive options available (I've been using a great lower cost off brand).

Until the Q4 2018 update is complete, it's possible that using 600 MHz mic will be ok but I would put those mics on ensemble members.  T-Mobile can throw the switch at any time.  If you rent, verify the frequency range(s) and run a frequency coordination to prevent any other issues.

Drop me a note if you need help or want to find someone in your area to review your needs.

Regards,
Carlton
Freelance Sound Designer, Cleveland
Resident Designer, Beck Center of the Arts

www.CarltonGuc.com<http://www.CarltonGuc.com>
Cell: 440-724-9805

Skype<skype:carltonguc> | LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/carltonguc> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/carlton.guc> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/inlinetechserv> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/carltonguc/>

Projects
Theatrical Software : www.stageresearch.com<http://www.stageresearch.com>
Corporate Automation Consulting : www.inlinetechnology.com<http://www.inlinetechnology.com>
VoIP - PBX - SIP Trunks : www.inlinetechnology.com/kate2018<http://www.inlinetechnology.com/kate2018>