[NEohioPAL] VIOLET opens November 8 at Playhouse Square!

Theatre theatre at csuohio.edu
Wed Oct 24 12:10:07 PDT 2018

VIOLET
November 8-18, 2018
Presented by Cleveland State University Department of Theatre and Dance
Playhouse Square - The Helen Rosenfeld Lewis Bialosky Lab Theatre, Allen Theatre Complex
TICKETS: $5-$15 | 216-241-6000 | www.playhousesquare.org <http://www.playhousesquare.org/events/detail/violet>

VIOLET is a moving production that features show-stopping anthems, ranging from American-roots to folk to gospel. As a girl, Violet was struck by a wayward axe blade when her father was chopping wood, leaving her with a visible scar across her face. With enough money finally saved she's traveling across the Deep South in 1964 towards a miracle - the healing touch of a TV evangelist who will make her beautiful. Although she may not succeed in having the scar on her face healed, Violet is able to repair those scars that are lying deeper than her skin.

The show is directed by CSU Associate Professor Holly Holsinger, with music direction by Maria DiDonato. Music is by Jeanine Tesori, with lyrics and book by Brian Crawley. VIOLET is based on "The Ugliest Pilgrim" by Doris Betts.

"It's a story about the fact that everyone has wounds, and that we're all searching for healing. We all do that in our own way. I hope people gain compassion from the show, but more importantly I hope people see themselves on their own journey," says Holsinger about the production. She also describes the cast as having some wonderful group numbers, which have intriguing and powerful harmonies. "The cast is drawing me in, making me want to rise up out of my seat!"

THE CAST
The Cleveland State University cast features Raven Monet Bryant, Brooke Myers, Anthony "X" Brown, Sophia Marcella Costanzo, Chace Coulter, Rebekah Ferro, Jordan Ficyk, Brianna Hohenfeld, Frank Ivancic, Steven Livingston, Sullivan Ratcliff, and Ricki Thomas.

SPECIAL EVENINGS
A $25 Dinner and a Show night is available one night only on Friday, November 9, 2018. The package includes dinner at Elements Bistro<http://elementsoneuclid.com/> between 4:30pm and 6:30pm, and a ticket to the 7:30pm showing of VIOLET this evening. This ticket type is by pre-reservation only at least 48-hours prior to the show. Tickets must be purchased as a Dinner and a Show package through Playhouse Square (Elements Bistro does not sell tickets or packages).

An American Sign Language (ASL) performance will be held on Sunday, November 11, 2018. Patrons can get a $5.00 discount off the general ticket price with the code "ASL" when ordering.

DATES AND TICKETS
Show times are Thursdays through Saturdays at 7:30 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. $5-$15 tickets are available by calling 216.241.6000, visiting playhousesquare.org<http://www.playhousesquare.org/events/detail/violet>, or at the State Theatre Ticket Office, located at 1519 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115. Tickets are also available 60-minutes prior to performances at the Allen Theatre Complex. See website<http://www.playhousesquare.org/events/detail/violet> for additional details on $25 Dinner and a Show packages.