[NEohioPAL] Auditions for ANYONE CAN WHISTLE at Near West Theatre (For ages 9 to 15)

Kelcie Dugger KDugger at nearwesttheatre.org
Mon Oct 29 11:31:20 PDT 2018

Near West Theatre announces AUDITIONS for
Anyone Can Whistle

Youth Cast (Ages 9 to 15)

November 19, 20 & 21, 2018
Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday
6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

  Come one of these evenings. Plan to stay for the entire time specified.
See list of roles below!

Anyone Can Whistle runs
February 15, 16, 17, 21, 22, 23 & 24, 2019
Rehearsals begin Monday, December 10, 2018 (We will break for holidays!)

AUDITION SITE:
Near West Theatre
(6702 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44102)

If you are unable to audition on the dates listed above, or you have questions,
call our office at 216-961-9750, Mon.-Fri. 11am-4pm
or EMAIL info at nearwesttheatre.org<mailto:info at nearwesttheatre.org>

ABOUT THE AUDITION:
This is a group audition in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. No experience or preparation required. Dress for movement. Please plan to stay for the entire time specified, and arrive 15 minutes before audition time to register. Anyone arriving after the starting time will not audition that day.

At Near West Theatre we encourage everyone to audition. People of all experience levels, races, ethnicities, neighborhoods, sizes, gender identities and backgrounds are needed. We use theater to build community and relationships. We're a great place to express yourself and make friends.
Come try us! Bring a friend!

ABOUT THE SHOW
Written by Stephen Sondheim, Anyone Can Whistle is an absurdist social satire about insanity and conformity (among a dozen other things!). This legendary cult show is a wacky, intelligent, highly unconventional musical which tells the story of a corrupt mayoress who fakes a miracle to revitalize her bankrupt town and the ill-fated romance between the rational nurse and the easy-going doctor who is determined to enjoy the chaos that it brings. Anyone Can Whistle delivers a poignant message about the importance of the individual in a conformist society - but not before aiming its still-relevant barbs at government, religion, science and anything else that stands in its way!

Book by Arthur Laurents | Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim | Orchestration by Don Walker

Directed by Kelcie Nicole Dugger, Choreographed by Josh Landis &
Musically Directed by Scott Pyle

CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS
Fay Apple
The resilient, young nurse at The Cookie Jar. She falls in love with Hapgood. She is meticulous and practical, but provides a lot of fun throughout the show.

Cora Hoover Hooper
The rich and greedy Mayor who is hated by her people. Controlling and desperate.

J. Bowden Hapgood
The new doctor in town who falls for Fay. Hapgood is wild, whimsical, and charming. He is more than meets the eye.

Comptroller Schub
The town's Comptroller and Cora's right-hand man. He is hotheaded and mean.

Treasurer Cooley
A former Preacher and the town Treasurer who was tossed out to pasture. Schub's right hand man. Scuzzy, slimy.

Chief Of Police Magruder
Serves as the Chief of Police and rounds out the trio of Cora's lackeys. He aims to please and gets excited when he does, but he is mostly a day late and a dollar short.

Mrs. Schroeder
Baby Joan's tough mother.

Dr. Detmold
The fussy doctor of The Cookie Jar. A very busy man and a bit of a snob.

Ensemble
Cookies, Deputies, Townspeople, Pilgrims, and more!