[NEohioPAL] MURDER BY POE by Jeffrey Hatcher at Lake Erie College Nov 1-11

doctor celery doctorcelery at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 08:11:50 PDT 2018

Fans of gothic horror will want to stumble into this house of murderers.

Next month, the Lake Erie College Department of Theatre will present “Murder by Poe,” a thriller written by Ohio native Jeffrey Hatcher and based upon the writings of Edgar Allan Poe. The play will be under the direction of Associate Professor of Theatre Jerry Jaffe, PhD. Performances will take place November 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, and 10 at 7:30 p.m. and November 4 and 11 at 2:00 p.m. in the C.K. Rickel Theatre, located in Royce Hall for the Fine and Performing Arts.

>From playwright and screenwriter Jeffrey Hatcher, an Ohio native, “Murder by Poe” tells the story of a young woman, played by Jamie Kuta ’17, who encounters a mysterious house while lost on a stormy night. There, she meets a group of eccentric residents: tormented souls, mad men and murderers. Among them is the famous French detective C. Auguste Dupin, played by Cameron Zona ’22, who helps her unravel the secrets of the house.

As she slowly learns the house’s secrets, she hears classic Poe stories such as “The Tell-tale Heart” and “The Black Cat,” among others. People familiar with Poe’s work will expect murder and mayhem, and this play provides many thrills.

“With the help of local haunted house professional, our set is based upon a haunted house style, including surprises, monsters, and even 2 or 3 corpses,” said Dr. Jaffe. “Not for the easily frightened!”

Other cast members include Lake Erie College students Thomas Cek, Korrie Gross, and Lawrence Chambers, Lake Erie College alumni Richard Keay and Kate Greene ’18 and community actors Greg Gnau, Gaz Simmons, William Benton, Shelly Lothman, Vince Wilson and Natalie Grace.  Production is supported by stage manager Katelynn Archer ’19 and assistant stage manager Sarah Rich ’19, also assisting with horror makeup effects. The sets and lights are designed by Tom West with costumes designed by Karen Ziegler. Guest artist Steve Fielder will add to horror effects and special makeup to the production.

Due to its dark content, “Murder by Poe” may not be suitable for younger or sensitive audience members.

Tickets for each performance are $5 for community members and free for all Lake Erie College students and staff.  No reservations are necessary.

“Murder by Poe” is presented by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service, Inc., New York. For more information, call the Lake Erie College Fine Arts Department of Theatre office at 440-375-7451.

"She went down to the pet shop and came back with two alligators. We asked her why she'd got two alligators, and she said they were on sale. Buy one at the regular price and you got another one for a penny. An alligator one cent sale. In its own way it made sense." Richard Brautigan, A CONFEDERATE GENERAL FROM BIG SUR