[NEohioPAL] Lakeland presents FREAKY FRIDAY

Martin Friedman martinfriedman98 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 03:29:04 PST 2019

*Lakeland Civic Theatre *

*Presents*

*Freaky Friday*

 Book by

*Bridget Carpenter*

 Music by

*Tom Kitt*

Lyrics by

*Brian Yorkey*

Directed by *Martin Friedman*

Musical Direction by *Matthew Dolan*

Settings Designed by *Aaron Benson *

Sound Designed by *Eric Simna *

 Lighting Designed by *Marcus Dana*

Costumes Designed by *Kelsey Tomlinson *

 Choreography by *Katie Zarecki*

Production Stage Manager *Whitney Miller*

*The Play:*

*I saw this play at its initial tryout at the Signature Theatre in
Washington DC (actually Shirlington,Va.) two years ago with my family. I
was bowled over by the changes to this already wonderful book (by Richard
Rodgers’ daughter Mary Rodgers) and films. Instead of an almost slap-stick
story about a mother and daughter exchanging minds and  and coming to grips
with the change of bodies; the new musical instead takes on something more
important; the different hopes and dreams of a mother and daugthter and
body shaming.  I found the story down-right profound and the music
wonderful.*

*And perhaps most importantly, FREAKY FRIDAY is no longer just a book and
movie about a homogeneous family and the school they attend, but rather it
is about the real world.*

*Based on the beloved 1972 novel by Mary Rodgers features a book by Bridget
Carpenter, and music and lyrics by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey - the Pulitzer
Prize-winning composers of Next to Normal and If/Then.*

*The Plot: **“When an overworked mother and her teenage daughter magically
swap bodies, they have just one day to put things right again.  By spending
a day in each other's shoes, Katherine and Ellie come to appreciate one
another's struggles, learn self-acceptance, and realize the immeasurable
love and mutual respect that bond a mother and daughter.”*

 *The Production:*

*Freaky Friday **will open on Friday, February 1 and run through Sunday,
February 17, 2019. There will be nine (9) performances; that is THREE (3)
weeks of shows.  *

*Performance times are: Friday and Saturday evenings at 7:30 pm and Sunday
matinees at 2:00 pm. *

For more information please feel free to call 440.525.7526 for production
information. Call 440.525.7134 for ticket purchases. Visit
lakelandcc.edu/arts to order tickets online.

*Directions to Lakeland Community College and free parking.*

I 90 east to Rt. #306. Turn right on #306. Burger King on your right,
Speedway on your left. Turn left at the first light. Get in the right lane.
At first stop sign turn right. At second stop sign turn right. At THIRD
stop sign turn right again.  Go forward 100 feet and turn left into the
Faculty/Staff parking lot. The theatre is just past the Clocktower on your
left. Building “D”. Lakeland Community College 7700 Clocktower Drive
Kirtland, Ohio 44094