[NEohioPAL] Audition for 1776: February 18, 19, 20

Bailey Pfohl BPfohl at nearwesttheatre.org
Thu Jan 31 13:33:07 PST 2019

Guest Director Cory Markowitz returns for 1776!

Near West Theatre's very own Cory Markowitz will lend her incredible directing talents to this spring's production of 1776 (May 3-19, 2019)! With over twenty years' experience in theatre, Cory has worked as a performer, director, teacher, and writer in various venues throughout Northeast Ohio, Atlanta, GA, and the UK. Near West Theatre has always held a special place in her heart for its "unique blend of brilliant theatrical vision and inclusive, socially conscious community development." We couldn't be happier to welcome home a friend and a seasoned Near West veteran, with over 15 NWT shows to her credit, for what promises to be a highlight to our season!

Auditions for 1776:
February 18, 19, 20, 2019

7 - 10pm
At Near West Theatre
6702 Detroit Ave, Cleveland, Oh 44102
Older Teen & Adult Cast (Ages 16+)

In our modern re-shaping of this hit show, and in the spirit of our mission, casting of  characters will be open to all genders, races, and ethnicities. No roles have yet been cast.

1776

Performances: May 3 - 19, 2019

Book by Peter Stone

Music and Lyrics by Sherman Edwards

Based on a concept by Sherman Edwards

About the show:

Long before Hamilton, there was 1776! It's a long, hot summer in Philadelphia, and the Continental Congress is an exhausted and quarrelsome assemblage, at each other's throats over the burning question of independence from Great Britain. The nation is on the brink of revolution - if only our founding fathers can agree to sign the declaration! American history blazes to vivid life in this unconventional hit musical, revealing the humor and humanity behind these national icons determined to do the right thing for a fledgling nation.

About the audition:

NWT holds group auditions in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. No preparation or preregistration is required. Actors of all experience levels are led through multiple improvisational exercises providing every participant equal opportunity to create through word, movement and song. Auditions focus on the creative process, not the product; on working as an ensemble, not solo. Wear comfortable clothing and plan to stay for the full 3 hours. After the initial audition, callbacks will focus on individual roles/songs and working from the script.