[NEohioPAL] New Workshop Offerings from Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland

Ray Caspio - Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland michaelchekhovcenter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 11:56:23 PDT 2019

*ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN*
March 24, April 7, April 21, and May 5
10:30am-12:00pm
Attend as many Adventures as you like (or all of them)!
Adventures Into the Unknown is a series of open explorations touching on
aspects of the Michael Chekhov technique. Memorize a minute of text that
you enjoy in case the Adventure we find ourselves on leads us there.
$20.00 each, or all four for $70.00!

*INSPIRATION and THE FEELING OF BEAUTY*
May 18 & 19, 2019
10:30am-2:30pm each day
Inspiration: where does it come from? Beauty: what is it? How can we deepen
our access to both and apply it to our performance work?
Your investment is $110.00 for eight hours of exploration. Register by
April 17th and receive a $15.00 discount!

*WHO ARE THESE OFFERINGS FOR?*
Each is open to a maximum of eight performing artists (ages 18 and up) both
new to or with experience in the Michael Chekhov Technique.

*WHERE DO WE MEET?*
Art On Madison
14203 Madison Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107
Plenty of free parking is available on Madison (meters do not run on
weekends) and nearby side streets.

*I HAVE QUESTIONS!*
Great! Email them to michaelchekhovcenter (at) gmail (dot) com.

*HOW DO I REGISTER?*
Registration and further information about the sessions can be found at
http://www.raycaspio.com/mc3 under the UPCOMING CLASS OFFERINGS section.

*I'M AN LGBTQ-IDENTIFYING ARTIST AND WANT TO JOIN YOU, BUT FIND MYSELF
NEEDING FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. CAN YOU HELP?*
Absolutely! I've been in that situation, and want to work with you. Please
open the discussion by sending an e-mail to michaelchekhovcenter (at) gmail
(dot) com detailing your situation and proposed need, and we'll find a
solution together. (This offer is open to LGBTQ-identifying artists only!
Thanks.)

*HOW DOES MC3 APPROACH THE MICHAEL CHEKHOV TECHNIQUE?*
The Michael Chekhov Technique is a holistic, psycho-physical approach to
performance that synthesizes the actor's body and psychology. You discover
how the magic of your movement, in tandem with your imagination and feeling
life, has the ability to enliven the spaces within yourself and the spaces
around you. Solo and ensemble explorations in movement, concentration,
atmosphere, and gesture increase your flexibility, honesty, joy, and ease
as a performing artist. You learn to free your body as a conduit for the
soul of your character. Your Creative Individuality is supported and
nourished, and your artistic work becomes more inspired.

*WHO LEADS THE SESSIONS?*
Ray Caspio creates beautifully grotesque characters whose comedic allure
invites you into their queer realities, where they unpack American culture
and scrutinize the multifaceted manners in which we relate to each other.
His work recognizes the immediacy and impermanence of performance by
embracing theatre as a living event. Who is in the room matters. The work
becomes as alive as we are: conscious, truthful, and existing in that
moment when we all gather to play. Ray is a performance artist, teaching
artist, actor, and the Founder and Artistic Director of Michael Chekhov
Center Cleveland. He has created pieces spanning theatre, cabaret,
installation, web, and personal storytelling; served as performer-creator
in numerous devised pieces; and originated over 30 roles. His live work has
been performed at Playhouse Square, Dobama Theatre, Cleveland Public
Theatre, convergence-continuum, Playwrights Local, Talespinner Children’s
Theatre, Theater Ninjas (Associate Artistic Director 2012-2015), and the
Cleveland Museum of Art. Caspio appeared on Best of Theatre lists for
Cleveland Scene Magazine (2014 & 2017) and WCPN/NPR’s The Sound of Applause
(2014, for the conception and performance of the immersive cabaret
exploration of gender, sexuality, and marriage equality, TingleTangle). In
2014, he was profiled as Scene’s “Thespian”. Ray’s training consists of the
Michael Chekhov technique (Michael Chekhov School, Hudson, NY; MICHA: the
International Michael Chekhov organization), Bouffon (Giovanni Fusetti),
Eccentric Performance (Avner Eisenberg & Julie Goell), the Alba Method, and
Improvisation and Comedy Writing (Second City Chicago). Caspio has taught
for Playhouse Square, Disney Musicals-in-Schools, Cleveland Play House
Theatre Academy, MetroHealth Arts in Medicine, and the Cleveland Museum of
Art. Ray received a 2016 Creative Workforce Fellowship.

”If you can find in your soul a little bit of astonishment, you have
already taken a step forward. To be a little astonished by imaginary
things. Everything about which we are astonished, about which we are filled
with wonder, gives us always something new. The artist has always to feel
everything as now — as if for the first time. That is the power of the
artist. That is the real impulsive power of the artist, to be astonished
every time about everything.”
— Michael Chekhov
October 8, 1936