[NEohioPAL] Looking for Musicians & Vocalists!

Meredith King mlaurenking at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 14:45:11 PDT 2019

*Looking for Musicians and Vocalist Collaborators!*

Greetings! I am looking for Musicians and Vocalists to experiment with some
music performance during a two-week artist residency at Maelstrom
Collaborative Arts from July 8- July 21. Artists will be working with me,
Meredith L. King (bio below) to explore some collaborative music
performance, and bringing ideas to life using both jamming and
improvisation, as well as pre-planned music arrangement.

The styles of music we’ll be (loosely) playing with could be described as

a)       cheeky funk and its coded language,

b)      90s-style r&b (with an eye to honoring its humor and extraness)

c)       and outsider/alt hip- hop

Think Parliament Funkadelic meets Scott Bradlee’s Saturday Morning Slow
Jams (Duck Tales Theme Song Edition) meets Peaches. I’m very Interested in
playing up the inherent theatricality of tongue-in-cheek music and
experimenting with how that theatricality can support music-centered
performance.

*HERE'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:*

*MUSICIANS*

·         Instrumentalists of any sort will be considered (non-
traditional and electronic instruments welcome!)

·         Will definitely need a keyboardist, drummer or percussionist,
guitarist (acoustic, electric, and/or bass)

·         Must be able to learn music by ear

·         Able to or excited to try musical improvisation

*VOCALISTS:*

·         Seeking two vocalists

·         Must be able to learn music by ear

·         Able to or excited to try vocal improvisation

·         Excited to explore some theatricality in performance

·         Any vocal range

Though this project might very well expand, it is currently in
experiment-phase and welcomes people who are excited to embrace the
experimental magic!

*If interested, email Meredith at mlaurenking at gmail.com
<mlaurenking at gmail.com>. *

*Meredith L. King* makes words and sounds collide on the stage, including
work as a playwright, performer, lyricist, and composer.  Meredith is
currently a cadre member with Maelstrom Collaborative Arts in Cleveland,
Ohio where her artistic work includes creating original work for *Short
Form 2018*, *Bricolage 2018, Bricolage 2019* and *Saturnalia* 2018. This
summer Meredith produced Maelstrom’s newest mixed media show *Rising Tide*.
Other recent credits include work with Cleveland Public Theatre’s Entry
Point (*Saturated Fat* and *Bipolar Mixtape*) & Station Hope Programs
(*Under/Stand
*and *When They Took My Grandmother*), and Talespinner Children’s Theatre’s
PLAYground (*The Garden of In-Between*). As a director, performer and
musician, Meredith has worked with Round House Theatre’s Heyday Players,
dog & pony dc, eXtreme eXchange, The Hegira and African Continuum Theatre,
including participating in the Kennedy Center’s Page to Stage
Festival. Meredith received
a B.A. from Stanford University and an M.B.A from Yale University. She has
worked  professionally as an arts administrator,  teacher and community
organizer on the national level.  Meredith served a three-year term as a
judge for Washington, DC’s regional theatre awards, The Helen Hayes Awards,
and has also served six years as a reader/judge for the Source Theatre
Festival. Meredith frequently creates work focused on people who live at
the intersections, who are simultaneously hypervisible and invisible, but
whose stories rarely make it to the stage. Meredith is passionate about
theatre that brings the personal into the public and serves as a catalyst
for connection and community building.