[NEohioPAL] Review of "The Member of the Wedding" at the Beck Center for the Arts

Bob Abelman r.abelman at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 5 10:32:26 PDT 2019

Beck Center’s ‘The Member of the Wedding’ a ruined work

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News, The News Herald, The Morning Journal

There’s something interesting taking place at the Beck Center for the Arts, but it is not Carson McCullers’ “The Member of the Wedding.”

Throughout this play, we are told of the interesting people living interesting lives elsewhere and in the past. Off-stage, a marriage takes place, someone gets into trouble with the law, and two people die.  We hear the sound of children and musicians playing in the distance.

But on stage, not much happens and, under Eric Schmiedl’s direction, very little of it is any good.

For more of this review, go to: www.clevelandjewishnews.com/columnists/bob_abelman/