[NEohioPAL] Hudson Players Celebrates 75th Anniversary season

Durbin, Mark H. durbinm at firstenergycorp.com
Wed Oct 23 07:39:43 PDT 2019

Hudson Players Celebrates 75th Anniversary Season
Noises Off, Company, and Bright Star Will Delight Audience Members

What began as an idea developed over coffee at Saywell's Drugstore in 1945 has blossomed into The Hudson Players celebrating its 75th anniversary season of producing award-winning entertainment in northeast Ohio.
While a previous Hudson theatre guild was founded in the 1920s, its run ended in the late 1930s. The current Hudson Players organization owes its existence to Glad Lewis and 8 other Hudsonites who were inspired to revive community theatre in Hudson 75 years ago.
The community embraced the idea and the first production, a one-act melodrama called Fireman Save My Child, attracted a sold-out crowd inside the historic Town Hall Building for its single performance. The only one not happy was the fire marshal who was concerned about the over-flowing crowd.
>From that point on the Hudson Players staged three plays every year. Membership grew as the town of Hudson grew and the group established a reputation throughout northeast Ohio for quality theatre that continues to this day. >From those humble beginnings the Hudson Players have gone on to present more than 200 productions. The shows bring visitors to Hudson from all over the state. Many of the shows also have been recognized by the Ohio Community Theatre Association for their excellence.
This year's slate of shows has something for everyone, kicking off in November with a revival of audience favorite Noises Off, the hilarious British farce about a play within a play. The show opens November 1st and runs for three weekends.
Next up is Company, Stephen Sondheim's revered musical about a single guy celebrating his 35th birthday with his married friends, with famous songs such as "Being Alive" and "Ladies Who Lunch," which will be presented in February. The Hudson Players' season concludes in late April with the Ohio community theatre premiere of Bright Star, a new, blue-grass-inspired musical from Steve Martin and Edie Brickell that tells the story of a driven magazine editor whose life is forever changed when a young man returning from WWII becomes a vivid reminder of her long-hidden past.
As part of the 75th anniversary celebration, The Hudson Players are planning a gala event, set for March 7, 2020. As part of the festivities, plans are underway to present Fireman, Save My Child, the original one-act that jump-started the group in 1945.
"The motto of Hudson Players has always been 'good shows, good friends and good times' and we welcome the entire Hudson community to join in our 75th anniversary season celebration," says Michelle Dolciato, Hudson Players' board president. "Whether you watch one of our fabulous productions, attend our gala or volunteer your talent and time by joining as a group member we look forward to celebrating with you this year."
Hudson Players season tickets offer the best opportunity for the best seats, the best savings and the best dates. A three-show season ticket subscription is only $30 - a $12 savings compared to purchasing the tickets at the regular price.  Another advantage is season ticket holders get to pick their performance nights and seats in advance.  Plus, they can exchange tickets to accommodate schedule changes at no added cost.
For complete details about season tickets and show dates and information about the 75th anniversary gala, call the Hudson Players box office at (330) 655-8522 or go online at www.hudsonplayers.com<http://www.hudsonplayers.com> for more information. Showtime for Friday and Saturday performances is 8:00 p.m.; Sunday matinees begin at 2:00 p.m.
The city of Hudson and the Players have enjoyed a productive relationship throughout the group's existence. For the past 36 years, the city-owned Barlow Community Center has been the home of the Players. While owned and managed by the city, the theatre is outfitted and maintained by the Hudson Players. From the seats, stage floor, new main curtains, and new lighting and sound systems, the improvements made by the Players have greatly added to the richness of the overall theatre experience.

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.