[NEohioPAL] AUDITIONS – MOCKINGBIRD – Beck Center Youth Theater

Sarah Clare sclare at beckcenter.org
Tue Nov 5 06:35:48 PST 2019

Beck Center for the Arts Youth Theater, will be holding auditions for teens ages 12-19 on November 16 and 17, 2019 for their production of:

Mockingbird
Adapted by Julie Jensen.
>From the National Book Award-winning novel by Kathryn Erskine.
Direction by Sarah Clare

The Story:
Caitlin is an 11-year-old girl on the autism spectrum. Not all things make sense to her. Emotions are mysterious and voices are almost always too loud. Suddenly, she must grapple with the unthinkable: a mass shooting has taken her brother away. He was the one person who helped her cope. Now she is alone with her grieving father and a cacophony of children at school. She struggles to understand empathy, what facial expressions mean, and why a drawing might have more than one color. We see the world from Caitlin’s point of view. We struggle as she does. We also take comfort when Caitlin discovers that not everything is black and white; the world is full of colors.

Audition/Callback dates: (open to Beck Center students ages 12 to 19*)

·         Saturday, November 16: 2:00 to 5:00pm

& Sunday, November 17: 12:00 to 3:00pm

·         Callbacks: Monday, November 18 from 5:00 to 8:00pm

You may sign up for a five minute audition slot at Beck Center Customer Service or by calling 216-521-2540 x10.  (Audition sign ups start 11/5/19)

*Please note: Youth Theater roles are only eligible to students who will be enrolled in our Winter/Spring 2020 semester. Actors do not need to be enrolled at the time of the auditions, however, participation in the actual production does require Beck Center enrollment in our Winter/Spring 2020 semester. Students do not need to be specifically enrolled in a Theater class at Beck Center to qualify. Students enrolled in a Winter/Spring 2020 semester class in Beck Center’s Dance, Music and Visual Arts Departments are equally eligible. Any questions, please feel free to contact Sarah Clare, Associate Director of Theater Education, at sclare at beckcenter.org.

Our Winter/Spring catalog will be available online November 11th.

Unlike some other youth theaters, there is NO additional participation fee required beyond enrollment.

What to Prepare:

·         Students are asked to prepare a short dramatic monologue. Memorization is strongly encouraged.

·         Bring a headshot or picture of your student, and resume

·         Please come prepared with a list of all potential rehearsal and performance conflicts

Potential Rehearsals: January 6-February 22, 2020 *Please list conflicts for the week and weekend!

·         Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri: between 4:30 – 9:00pm
·         Saturdays: between 2:00 – 6:00pm
·         Sundays: between 1:00 – 6:00pm
The show will NOT be rehearsing every day or the full time range listed. The director will pick the days that best accommodate everyone’s schedules – once conflicts and availability are known for the above dates.

Tech Week:  February 23- 27, 2020
·         Sunday between 1:00 – 9:00pm and Weeknights between 5:00 – 9:00pm

All cast members are expected to attend ALL rehearsals during Tech Week.

Performance dates:  February 28-March 8, 2020
All cast members are required to attend all performances.
·         Fridays, February 28 and March 6, at 7:30pm
·         Saturdays, February 29 and March 7 at 7:30pm
·         Sundays, March 1 and 8 at 3:00pm
·         Special Student Matinee: Thursday, March 5 at 10:00am
(NOTE: This will require missing school that morning.)