[NEohioPAL] Opportunity for Artists - working with Kids in Akron Elementary Schools

Jenna Messina jennam at akronymca.org
Fri Jan 10 13:00:24 PST 2020

Good afternoon!

I am posting the following to this community, hoping to find artists available and interested in volunteering one afternoon  each week to helping kids in the Akron area to be successful in school, and in life.  This YMCA after school program has been in place since 2015 (in various forms), but has not had a solid arts component.  It would be so wonderful for the kids if we had Mentors who could bring some artistic lessons or activities to the program.  For example: Playing the guitar or keyboard and adding a music lesson - teaching a song or teaching about the instruments; Helping the kids with unique and fun physical activities incorporating dance and music; Exposing the kids to new art mediums and projects; Improv and acting exercises, etc.

The Mentors in the program volunteer one day each week from about 2:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m.(Mon. - Thurs.) for 10 weeks.  There are a number of sites in Akron where we still need volunteers for spring sessions beginning Jan. 27th or Feb. 4th.  The Akron Area YMCA provides all materials, supplies and training (if needed) to our Mentors, and will provide structured lessons if that if preferred.  A longer description of the Mentor role is below.  If you are interested, please email jennam at akronymca.org or call 330-376-1335 ext. 1035.  If you know anyone not on this list who may be interested, passing it along would be greatly appreciated.

This link shows the outcome from two of our AWESOME Mentors who taught the kids a song in American Sign Language.  Even if you are not interested in becoming a Mentor, I highly recommend watching, you will be happy you did :)    https://youtu.be/CoQZKefy05g

Thank you for your time and peace to all,
Jenna

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT INTERNSHIP and VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AT THE AKRON AREA YMCA
The Akron Area YMCA Youth Development Program is looking for individuals to take on the role of After School Mentor.  Volunteering as a Mentor is a wonderful opportunity to enrich the lives of children living in our community through a development based curriculum including nutrition, reading, physical health, creative activities and games.  Mentors are provided with all materials, supplies and training needed to create fun, positive, life-changing experiences for students.  Mentors volunteer approximately 3 hours of their time each week at an Akron Area YMCA After School site. This rewarding opportunity is open to those in high school and beyond.  The ideal Mentor is reliable, organized, punctual, and has a great passion for helping children succeed in school and in life.   In addition, there are a number of career-oriented internships available for college students with the Youth Development Program.  If you are interested in interning or becoming an Akron Area YMCA Mentor, please contact Jenna Messina, Youth Development Coordinator at 330-376-1335 ext. 1035 or email jennam at akronymca.org. Please feel free to repost this message or pass it on to anyone you think may be interested is these exciting opportunities.

Jenna Messina
Youth Development Coordinator
Akron Area YMCA
50 S. Main St., LL100
Akron, OH  44308
330-376-1335 Ext. 1035

[Make a Donation] <http://www.akronymca.org/Giving/>    [Facebook]  <https://www.facebook.com/akronymca>        [YouTube]  <http://www.youtube.com/user/AkronAreaYMCA/feed>     [Twitter]  <https://twitter.com/akronymca>
The Akron Area YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
The Akron Area YMCA is a registered 501(c)(3) organization, Tax ID #34-0714727, and contributions are tax deductible.