[NEohioPAL] Registration ends soon for Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland's next Class!

Ray Caspio - Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland michaelchekhovcenter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 16:31:25 PST 2020

*ATMOSPHERIC ADVENTURESSundays, February 23-April 56:30-8:45pm*

*registration & information: *
http://www.raycaspio.com/michael-chekhov-center-cleveland-classes/atmosphericadventures

"On the stage we must create certain atmospheres consciously, in order that
we will get what we want. But I also believe there is something more to it
— a certain influence from somewhere else which we do not know about...
These influences are longing to come to us, and if we call them by means of
creating the atmosphere consciously, 'they' are here. They are not running
away from us. They are coming to us in all possible ways."
*Michael Chekhov, LESSONS FOR THE PROFESSIONAL ACTOR*

*WHAT ARE WE EXPLORING?*
The Atmosphere we adventure into together is rich with inspiration and the
possibility of discovery. Atmosphere is the soul of the performance: it
fills the space and radiates from bodies. How do we enter it from a place
of unknowing and fully trust in ourselves to play in what we’ve found? What
mysteries can we uncover through Michael Chekhov’s exploratory,
improvisational processes to apply to our own acting work? How do we apply
them? This seven-week session is shaped by the hearts and wills of those in
the space. Come prepared to breathe, to move, and to allow your creative
self into the atmospheric unknown where inspiration and growth reside.
Familiarity with the Chekhov work is beneficial, but not necessary. This
offering is an excellent opportunity to introduce yourself to the Chekhov
work or deepen your understanding of the work as a practitioner.

*WHEN DO WE EXPLORE?*
Sundays: February 23, March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, April 5
6:30-8:45pm
Seven meetings, 15.75 hours of exploration
*Classes build off of each other. Do try to avoid absences and honor the
investment you are making in your art and the ensemble we’re cultivating.*

*WHERE DO WE EXPLORE?*
Art On Madison
14203 Madison Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107

*WHERE DO I PARK?*
Free street parking is available on Madison and nearby side streets.

*WHO IS THIS FOR?*
This exploration is for a maximum of 8 performer-artists, ages 18 and up,
interested in expanding their imaginative capabilities and embodying that
imagination with ease and a sense of play. Familiarity with the Chekhov
work is beneficial, but not necessary. This offering is an excellent
opportunity to introduce yourself to the Chekhov work or deepen your
understanding of the work as a practitioner.

*THAT'S ME! WHAT SHOULD I BRING?*
Memorize 2-3 minutes of text you’ve never worked with before that you enjoy
exploring. This could be from a play, a film, a poem, a song, or your own
work. Avoid making choices with the text. The more text you have, the more
fruitful your explorations will be. Wear clothing and shoes you are
comfortable moving in since we discover experientially with full-bodied
movement. Bring a water bottle, notebook, and a writing instrument.

*WHERE DO I REGISTER?*
http://www.raycaspio.com/michael-chekhov-center-cleveland-classes/atmosphericadventures

*WHAT IS MY INVESTMENT?*
$175.00 if paid in full at time of registration.
Or, two installment payments of $90.00. Installment 1 is due at
registration. Installment 2 is due through online payment, check, or money
order by start of class, March 8th.
This discounted rate is made possible by the generosity of Art On Madison.

*ANY OTHER DETAILS ABOUT MY INVESTMENT?*
Full refunds available through February 14th. If you need to cancel for any
reason after February 14th, 75% of your investment will be refunded.
Minimum class size is 2, maximum is 8. In the event that this offering is
canceled by Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland prior to the first session,
you will receive a full refund.

*I’M AN LGBTQ ARTIST AND WANT TO JOIN YOU, BUT FIND MYSELF NEEDING
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. CAN YOU HELP?*
Absolutely! MC3 is a safe space for you to explore and work. If you’re
interested in any class offerings and find yourself in extreme need of
financial assistance, please open a discussion by e-mailing Ray at
michaelchekhovcenter (at) gmail (dot) com detailing your situation and
proposed need, and we’ll find a solution together. I’ve been there. I get
it. And I want to make sure this technique is accessible to you. This offer
is for LGBTQ-identifying artists only and your inquiry must be received for
consideration by February 7th.

*TELL ME ABOUT MICHAEL CHEKHOV CENTER CLEVELAND!*
Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland is committed to the art of the actor
through explorations of the psychophysical processes illuminated by Michael
Chekhov. Through educational offerings for artists and performances within
the community, we explore what it means when the actor is the theatre.

*HOW IS THE CHEKHOV TECHNIQUE APPROACHED?*
The Michael Chekhov Technique is a holistic, psychophysical approach to
performance that synthesizes the actor's body and psychology. You discover
how the magic of your movement, in tandem with your imagination and feeling
life, has the ability to enliven the spaces within yourself and the spaces
around you. Solo and ensemble explorations in concentration, movement,
atmosphere, and gesture increase your flexibility, honesty, joy, and ease
as a performing artist. You learn to free your body as a conduit for the
soul of your character. Your Creative Individuality is supported and
nourished, and your artistic work becomes more inspired.

*WHO LEADS THE SESSIONS?*
Ray Caspio creates beautifully grotesque characters whose comedic allure
invites you into their queer realities where they unpack American culture
and scrutinize the multifaceted manners in which we relate to each other.
Ray’s work recognizes the immediacy and impermanence of performance by
embracing theatre as a living event. Those in the space matter. The work
becomes as alive as we are: consciously existing in that moment when we all
gather to play. Ray is a performance artist, teaching artist, and the
Founder of Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland. They have created pieces
spanning theatre, cabaret, installation, web, and personal storytelling,
and served as performer-creator in numerous devised works, originating over
30 roles. Ray’s creations have been performed at BorderLight International
Theatre + Fringe Festival, Playhouse Square, Cleveland Public Theatre,
Theater Ninjas (Associate Artistic Director 2012-2015), and the Cleveland
Museum of Art. Caspio appeared on Best of Theatre lists for Cleveland Scene
(2014 & 2017) and WCPN/NPR’s The Sound of Applause (2014, for the
conception and performance of the immersive cabaret exploration of gender,
sexuality, and marriage equality, TingleTangle). Caspio has taught for
Playhouse Square, Disney Musicals-in-Schools, Cleveland Play House Theatre
Academy, MetroHealth Arts in Medicine, and the Cleveland Museum of Art.
They are trained in Bouffon, Eccentric Performance, the Alba Method, and
Improv & Sketch Writing (Second City Chicago). Ray studies with master
teachers of the Michael Chekhov technique at the Michael Chekhov School,
Hudson, NY, and the international faculty of MICHA, the Michael Chekhov
Association. Caspio founded Michael Chekhov Center Cleveland after a decade
exploring the technique to share their understanding of Chekhov’s
principles with Northeast Ohio artists. Ray received a 2016 Creative
Workforce Fellowship.