[NEohioPAL] LCCC NEWS: Stocker Arts Center Hosts “Ain’t I A Woman!” & Civic Concert Band & Civic Orchestra Concert

Allison Jack ajack at lorainccc.edu
Tue Feb 18 09:54:34 PST 2020

LCCC Presents Civic Orchestra Concert

Lorain County Community College Arts and Humanities division’s Civic Orchestra will hold a performance at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22 in the Stocker Arts Center Hoke Theatre.

Under the direction of Robert Beckstrom, the orchestra will perform two new works by Cleveland area composers, as well as a classic favorite. The performance begins with The Watchers, by William Rayer, who composed the piece in conjunction with a novel (same title) he authored. His music conveys the themes of good vs. evil, greed vs. benevolence, and triumph out of conflict.

The second premiere piece is Due Concertante 2019 for two B-flat clarinets and orchestra, by Daniel Shell. His evocative music has a Latin influence and explores unusual orchestral sounds woven together by the two soloists. Shell is the orchestra's principal bassist, as well as an adjunct instructor in the LCCC Cisco Network Academy.
The concert also includes the Swan Lake Suite by Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky.

For tickets, call the Stocker Arts Center Box Office at (440) 366-4040. General admission is $9 for adults. Tickets for LCCC students, staff, children and seniors 65+ tickets are $8. Tickets are $7 for groups of 15 or more.

For more information, contact the division of Arts and Humanities at (440) 366-4013 or visit www.lorainccc.edu/stocker/civic-orchestra<http://www.lorainccc.edu/stocker/civic-orchestra>.

Stocker Arts Center is on the campus of Lorain County Community College, 1005 N. Abbe Road, Elyria, Ohio. Parking on campus is free.
--

LCCC Stocker Arts Center Hosts “Ain’t I A Woman!”

Lorain County Community College’s Social Sciences and Human Services division will present “Ain’t I A Woman!” in honor of Women’s History Month and Black History Month at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, March 4 at Stocker Arts Center as part of the Random Acts Series in the Cirigliano Studio Theatre.

The chamber music theatre work produced by The Core Ensemble brings to life four outstanding African American women: former slave and abolitionist Sojourner Truth, novelist and anthropologist Zora Neale Hurston, folk artist Clementine Hunter, and civil rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer. Dramatic interpretations are accompanied by a jazz trio, drawing upon music ranging from rural to urban, from Antebellum Spirituals to the Jazz Age, from folk music to compositions for the concert stage including works by Diane Monroe. An after-talk with the ensemble follows the performance.

A craft session will be held before the show from 6-7 p.m. in the Studio Theatre lobby led by Gail Crum, Jill Milenski and Gayle Pritchard, artists are from the "Women in Conversation" art exhibit that will be on display in the Beth K. Stocker Art Gallery from February 28 through April 2.

Call the Stocker Box Office at (440) 366-4040 to order tickets for this event. Tickets are $8 or $5 for students.The box office is open from noon to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday and 90 minutes prior to ticketed events. Guests may also purchase tickets online at www.stockerartscenter.com<http://www.stockerartscenter.com>.

Stocker Arts Center is located on the campus of Lorain County Community College at 1005 North Abbe Road, Elyria, Ohio. Parking on the campus is free. Follow Stocker Arts Center on Facebook and @StockerArts on Twitter and Instagram.

--

LCCC Hosts Civic Concert Band

Lorain County Community College’s Civic Concert Band will hold a "Music From Your Hymnal” concert at 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 1 at the Stocker Arts Center in the Hoke Theatre.

The performance features familiar hymns such as God of our Fathers, Lead on, O King Eternal, My Shepherd Will Supply My Need, Battle Hymn of the Republic, How Firm a Foundation, Eternal Father, Strong to Save and Amazing Grace.

The concert is directed by Mark Wainwright. Admission is free.

For more information, contact the division of Arts and Humanities at (440) 366-4013 or visit www.lorainccc.edu/stocker/civic-orchestra<http://www.lorainccc.edu/stocker/civic-orchestra>.

Stocker Arts Center is on the campus of Lorain County Community College, 1005 N. Abbe Road, Elyria, Ohio. Parking on campus is free.
--

Allison Jack
Writer & Project Coordinator | Marketing & Communications