[NEohioPAL] Worried Mother, Concerned for her Daughters Future in the Theatre. Stop Sexual Harassment!

Mama Bear theatremom2006 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 13:33:02 PDT 2020

Hello,
My name is Mama Bear, and my daughter Baby Bear is an actress in the North East Ohio Theatre Scene.

Of Course for the duration of this, I will use Aliases as I do not want my daughters career adversely affected by speaking out.

My daughter is 14 and she has worked all over the theatre scene. She has worked as far north, east, south, and west and our car can take her. And she continuously comes home with questions on if certain behavior is ok.

It is Not.

Baby Bear is 14 and before that she knew even less. She has been the victim of wandering eyes, words, and even hands of Directors, Producers, Older Actors, Choreographers, and Costume Designers.

She doesn't feel safe, especially now that she is developing into a proud young woman.

Papa Bear and I have spoken to a couple directors we trust in this town, asking if this is normal, when will it stop, and why it is allowed, And while some of our close confidants tell us the truth about the amount there is of this in Cleveland Theatre, It concerns us for the future of our daughter's career.

I will tell one of the many stories my daughter has told me.

She was in a big musical with over 30 Cast members, all of different ages, and the director of this production became a close friend of the families. As Parents, We loved everything about the production. That is until our daughter got in the car and started to cry because an older man in the cast (playing a character of power to the children in the cast) had given her a pat on the butt after the number and said "Great job, You're gonna be a star in no time" while looking down her shirt and practically smelling her hair. When she told us about this we were ready to march into the next rehearsal and raise hell. But through her tears she asked us not to make a big deal and that if anything else happened she would immediately tell the director. We didn't tell anyone else until a year and a half later when the same man took another position of power with my daughter. This is a large aggressive man in his 50's talking to a 14 year old girl like she's his personal assistant all the while staring at my daughters physical form. We then told a person close to us and they saw to it and had the person removed. That is all I will say on that one instant.

Baby Bear has told me that over 20 men have touched her without consent in the theatre, from playful slaps on the butt, to caresses of her hair and back, to one man grabbing her breasts so he could measure a costume.

This has to stop.

Several other Moms have spoken to me about this and we don't know what to do. We are afraid that if we speak up, then people will not cast our daughters.

I am tired.
I am tired of my daughter being afraid someone will touch her.
I am tired of my daughters tears because she must choose between her safety and participating in the craft she loves the most.
I am tired of theatres having a hypocritical stance on sexual harassment and abuse.
I am tired of feeling like a bad mom because I don't know how to help her.
I am tired of my husband feeling powerless because he can't help her.
I am tired of seeing the same abusers get hired over and over again.

Overall
I am Tired.
STOP THE HARASSMENT

I am firm that I must keep my daughter's identity a secret. However, Under this email I will gladly correspond with whoever wants to discuss this as mature adults. Help us find a solution. If a private dialogue is opened, I may be more inclined to share certain names and situations in more detail.

But more than anything.

I just want it to stop.

When Theatre comes back after the Pandemic. Make it Safe! Please!

~Mama Bear